Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on buying a house sometime in your lifetime do you plan on just buying the one property or do you think you'll buy a few and rent them out?

ReputationRep:
    Being an 18 year old i think i'll just aim for one, for now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any plans to become a landlord - but then again, I'm probably more aware than most of the pitfalls and work involved in being a landlord. That said, I wouldn't rule it out if I was to inherit a property at a time when it wasn't a good time to be selling.

ReputationRep:
    In my area, property is very cheap, and rents for fairly high prices. So if I could, I would. But at the moment I'm just trying to find somewhere for myself to live. I would like to invest into property in the long term, but I can't see myself being able to do that for the foreseeable future.

I would like to own a fair few. My family wouldn't have been able to put food on the table if it weren't for my parents working hard to buy and rent out property. It has made me realise that it's a solid long term investment and there will always be a demand for housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixFelicis)
    I would like to own a fair few. My family wouldn't have been able to put food on the table if it weren't for my parents working hard to buy and rent out property. It has made me realise that it's a solid long term investment and there will always be a demand for housing.
    I agree. And certainly now is an excellent time to invest with the prices being so low, as you're more or less guaranteed to get a good return in years to come. If the rental market ever declines, you always have the property to sell if you need the capital returned to you. In the days of uncertain investments, I'd say property was one of the best things to choose to invest into.

ReputationRep:
    Probably one, maybe I'll just rent properties though for the rest of my life

ReputationRep:
    Only one. I don't fancy the idea of being a landlord and a house abroad doesn't appeal to me either, I'd rather stay in a hotel

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, I've made some money as an enthusiast programmer but I don't think I'll be owning property anytime in the foreseeable future. Since there are no real universities in my country, I'll have to pay international fees hence making me broke and in slight debt by the time I get an undergraduate degree.

I'll probably be living in small rented rooms and such for a long time. Eventually I'll try to get a job abroad and migrate.

So my challenge is getting educated and in a new country. Property and such is the job of future generations (if I ever feel like I can financially support a married life, otherwise I'l probably be single for life which I don't mind).

Now, if I have the good fortune to make an insanely popular piece of software, win a lottery or something I'd love to own property, and rent it.

The system is such that people from countries with a low gdp per capita tend to have to study abroad as there are no adequate universities in their home country. This means that they have to pay insanely expensive tuition fees compared to local students. So actually the poorest students end up paying more while the richer students are always complaining about a 2% rise in their local fees. Then these students have to struggle to get a job and migrate because there is no demand for professionals in their countries.

Now if the student has no financial support from parents as in my case, it is often impossible or very hard to achieve their ambitions and many end up doing simple jobs that they do not like. A lot of brilliant students with A*s at A levels could end up becoming teachers and such.

In my case at least my programming skills have paid off slightly but there are those in worse conditions. Besides I wonder how many students from countries like the UK were would work doing freelance coding while studying for GCSE's and A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    I'll own and use two. Apartments though, not houses. One in western Europe, one where it's warm.

(Original post by Stressed Eric)
    If you plan on buying a house sometime in your lifetime do you plan on just buying the one property or do you think you'll buy a few and rent them out?
    I fully intend on having a few houses, in France you can get houses quite cheaply in decent areas, they are unfortunately run down but do them up and you are golden. You could do the same in Italy and Spain but I believe it is cheaper to build your own, only downside is in both those countries, getting finance would be a nightmare in the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    1 but hopefully my savings account will be huge!

ReputationRep:
    If property is my motive... I'll def marry an Indian girl.

Insta-inheritance man. I know a friend of mine who is goin thru this!

ReputationRep:
    due to an inheritance i now own a 4 bedroom house, and i am currently in the process of buying a flat, i'll buy a house when i'm older as well. I'll probably sell the 4 bedroom house at some point-i'll probably keep my flat and rent it out to people. I'll also inherit my family home when my parents die, don't know what i'll do with that.

ReputationRep:
    'Advice on Everyday Issues'

Good grief...

ReputationRep:
    I aspire to own one but i'm aware that'll be difficult given how much a deposit is and the sort of income you need to be given a mortgage. The most i could ever imagine myself with is 2 and that's only because my fiance is aspiring to work in London as a barrister, however we both want to settle down somewhere along the south coast. So obviously he may have a little flat to live in during the week if he needs to work late due to barristers sometimes having to work strange hours. I don't really agree with people who buy up lots of houses and rent them out. I think the rental market is unfair, overpriced and quite frankly... I've lived in beautiful victorian town houses that have been rented out with not one ounce of care for its upkeep. The walls for example had rising damp that the landlord didn't want to pay to deal with so kept merely painting over. It's now so bad you can see the wall crumbling away. I think it's a terrible shame. I can't imagine having something worth so much and just not caring.

ReputationRep:
    Probably none. Between the choice of easily affording to rent somewhere nice or having to save up and struggle to pay for something ok - I would rather choose the former.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.