Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any tips would be helpful on how to revise for this subject (Philosophy & Ethics). Exams are just around the corner, and I still not sure what technique to use so I was just wondering what works for you?

ReputationRep:
    I have the OCR textbook for it and I just make lots of notes and for 10 mark questions, I write for and against to think of what I would write!

For ethics, I've made mind map on each ethical theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sab_)
    I have the OCR textbook for it and I just make lots of notes and for 10 mark questions, I write for and against to think of what I would write!

For ethics, I've made mind map on each ethical theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks I'll try making mind maps then.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on? I do the same with mind maps for ethical theories but i am on edexcel and have to do the anthologies too...do you?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Im doing AS at the moment!

Im on AQA. I make flashcards with a term on the front and information condensed on the back. For example... Hedonic Calculus on the front and the principles on the back.

This helps me get through the material. After that, I can work on essay structure and writing by doing LOADS of practice questions. And it never hurts to practice a question more than once!

Planning for AO2 as well is useful. Just thinking of pros and cons, putting them in a table. It'll speed up the process in the exam.

Im aiming for an A, id like to carry on next year too. How much of a jump is it from AS to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi5 aiming on A as well, I'm on OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying religious language ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg2012)
    What exam board are you on? I do the same with mind maps for ethical theories but i am on edexcel and have to do the anthologies too...do you?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do AQA, and no anthologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ribiicca)
    Are you studying religious language ?
    No, I'm studying Philosophy (Cosmological argument, Religous experience etc)
    and Ethics (Utilitarianism,Situation Ethics etc) at AS Level

ReputationRep:
    I am findiing it kind of hard to revise for this, don't really want to rewrite all my notes again as that is time consuming and not really that helpful. Will try and do mind maps. This is the subject which I am least worried about though and am going to drop it next year anyway, but still wana get a decent grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Medic 7)
    Hey! Im doing AS at the moment!

Im on AQA. I make flashcards with a term on the front and information condensed on the back. For example... Hedonic Calculus on the front and the principles on the back.

This helps me get through the material. After that, I can work on essay structure and writing by doing LOADS of practice questions. And it never hurts to practice a question more than once!

Planning for AO2 as well is useful. Just thinking of pros and cons, putting them in a table. It'll speed up the process in the exam.

Im aiming for an A, id like to carry on next year too. How much of a jump is it from AS to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing AQA too I do flash cards too but they take forever, and my ethics teacher isn't much of a teacher so I'm having to teach myself everything.
    How do you structure your essays if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)
    Me too! I prefer ethics though...

ReputationRep:
    Ah I am studying philosophy (religious language, critique of religion, religious experience, life after death - but only have to do two), and Islam, for A level
    With Exexcel.

I have made some drawings of mine into an Ebook to sell as a visual aid/revision guide for the religious language topic because it really helps me to revise in a more interesting way, and it helps my friends but I don't have drawings for the topics you're doing.
    I might do a religious experience booklet though!!

If it helps, I have attached the part one to my Cosmological argument essay. I got 28/30 overall I think, but I can't find my part two!

I got 183 ums at AS
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Examine the cosmological argument for the existence of God part one.doc (35.5 KB, 311 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ribiicca)
    Ah I am studying philosophy (religious language, critique of religion, religious experience, life after death - but only have to do two), and Islam, for A level
    With Exexcel.

I have made some drawings of mine into an Ebook to sell as a visual aid/revision guide for the religious language topic because it really helps me to revise in a more interesting way, and it helps my friends but I don't have drawings for the topics you're doing.
    I might do a religious experience booklet though!!

If it helps, I have attached the part one to my Cosmological argument essay. I got 28/30 overall I think, but I can't find my part two!

I got 183 ums at AS
    Thank you so much!
    Really appreciate your help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA too I do flash cards too but they take forever, and my ethics teacher isn't much of a teacher so I'm having to teach myself everything.
    How do you structure your essays if you don't mind me asking?
    Well for AO1... start with an introductory paragraph, where I would explain some key terms and concepts and a bit of background. For example, for Aquinas' Cosmological Argument, I would write about how it is an inductive argument (a posteriori evidence), the Aristotelian influence, and how it uses 3 distinct ways.

Then the paragraphs, explaining each concept. For example, with say a Freud essay, I would use 3 paragraphs: one on the idea of religion as a collective neurosis (Oedipus Complex), one on the primal horde and totemism (inherited guilt), and one on religion as wish fulfillment.

Links between these paragraphs are essential. For example the first 2 are to do with guilt, link that to religion. Then I can talk about how the third progression in his theory is different.

Finally end with a conclusion if I have time, but it's not really necessary for AO1, my teacher said.

AO2... I just start with my opinion (I know other people like to put it in their conclusion but my teacher prefers this). Then I say "but I will examine other approaches" or something.

Couple of fors, couple of against. These would flow, so i would look at trying to find links. Then in the conclusion, i would write a separate new point, linking back to the question.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!
    Really appreciate your help.
    You're welcome !

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/RS_ALEVEL

My twitter that I have set up to post key points and quotations, or links. Anything related to RS, mainly the philosophy side.

ReputationRep:
    duplicated comment!

ReputationRep:
    On there you can also find the link to the ebook I made.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.