Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just looking for some advice on how to improve my confidence when it comes to interviews. I think the thing that gets me a lot with interviews is that I'm just useless when it comes to answering the questions. I find it hard to think up great examples to use from previous work history and stuff, competency based interviews are the worst 'give an example of when', 'tell me about a time when', 'how would you' etc. I end up with a lot of filler words in there like "erm", "you know", that kind of stuff as I find myself unsure how to answer questions, what's a good answer and stuff.

I'm on the Work Programme at the moment. Been told by my advisor its time for me to start putting the work in, that's made me determined to show him I want to improve this weakness of mine.

There are a lot of example interview questions on the internet. My appointments at the WP are every week. So, I was wondering whether to pick a couple of questions each week, write answers for them and take them in to show my advisor each week and get feedback on what's good/bad about the answers ? This doesn't sound like such a silly suggestion does it ?

I remember back in college, I could never answer exam questions properly. The only way I improved this was in my own time I got example questions, and got feedback on answers from my teachers on where to improve. It really helped, and I ended up exceeding all of my predicted grades by rather quite a bit. Would the same thing work for trying to improve interview answers ?

Thank you for any replies or advice.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    There are a limited number of competency questions that employers ever ask, they are all around dealing with problems (customers, not enough time, wrong equipment etc) and they will be relevant to the job, so you can pre-prepare some of the basics.

The format to use is STAR -

Situation - one or two sentences to define the problem eg 'I played for a football team at College that were bottom of the 3rd division and lost all their matches the previous season'

Task - one or two sentences saying what needed to be done 'We needed to improve both our skills and our fitness'

Action - four or five sentences about what you did to solve/improve the situation eg 'I had read about the Brazillian sport of fusbol and the idea that that was why the Brazilians were so fantastic at football. Also, it could be played indoors, so I negotiated the same rate we paid for the pitches for the College sports hall. We got much better training turnout, we always had more than enough to play 6 aside training games'

Result - a couple of sentences making it clear what you achieved eg 'As a result of the additional training which gave us better skills and fitness levels, we won 8 of our 10 matches and finished second in the league, or highest ever position'.

STAR is easy to remember under interview nerves and pressure, and delivers a sensible answer format for the interviewer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.