Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Increasingly need subtitles, it's hard to talk with my family Watch

ReputationRep:
    And before some fool makes the joke, that's not because I'm struggling to hear them. :p:

I'm going increasingly deaf; it started when I was a child, but has been getting worse. A while ago, I had to start putting the subtitles on my bedroom TV because I couldn't have it on as loud as I would need it to actually hear.

Now, it's going with the family TV as well - I'm needing to have it at a volume that the rest of the family protests about. I feel like I need the subtitles all the time now.

I find it difficult to talk to my family about this, because they have a habit of laughing it off: "You're only young, don't be silly, you're not going deaf!" I don't know what to do anymore.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to a friend, his hearing progressively got worse to a point where he could barely hear a thing (quite funny to laugh at, not nice to be in that situation though!) he went to the doctor and was a pretty common problem (fluid in the ear?) head to the GP!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP. Young people can and do go deaf despite having no obvious other health problems - it's happened to a couple of family members, one of whom was in their early teens when they went profoundly deaf suddenly and without warning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali baba)
    This happened to a friend, his hearing progressively got worse to a point where he could barely hear a thing (quite funny to laugh at, not nice to be in that situation though!) he went to the doctor and was a pretty common problem (fluid in the ear?) head to the GP!
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Go to your GP. Young people can and do go deaf despite having no obvious other health problems - it's happened to a couple of family members, one of whom was in their early teens when they went profoundly deaf suddenly and without warning.
    Oh, I have. In fact, I regularly see an audiologist at hospital; it's been well documented that I've been losing my hearing since the age of six, it's because I suffered a lot with very aggressive ear infections that caused permanent damage.

My parents are just in some sort of denial about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the exact same! I think my parents have finally started to realise that it's actually a problem now. Had 3 operations to try and sort out my hearing to no avail.. now got a hearing aid for my left ear.

Can't you ask them about doing surgery?

ReputationRep:
    That makes more sense. It's a shame that your family are apparently in denial, though it's probably a combination of not quite realising how much it's affecting you in day-to-day life, and being worried for what it means for your future.

Unfortunately it sounds like you're just going to have to learn to live with your increasing deafness. Might I suggest lip reading classes? They will help you to cope, and I imagine that it is easier to learn whilst you still have some hearing left. You'll also get to meet some other people who are in the same situation who you can swap stories (and coping techniques) with. In addition, the RNID has lots of products that can make your life easier, such as things that flash when your doorbell rings, or vibrate under your pillow when the fire alarm goes off.

It is possible to live a perfectly full and interesting life without hearing - the relative mentioned above went deaf in the days before deafaids were available, and years before the NHS was invented. But he still went on to do very well for himself by anyone's standards, deaf or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flotographer)
    And before some fool makes the joke, that's not because I'm struggling to hear them. :p:

I'm going increasingly deaf; it started when I was a child, but has been getting worse. A while ago, I had to start putting the subtitles on my bedroom TV because I couldn't have it on as loud as I would need it to actually hear.

Now, it's going with the family TV as well - I'm needing to have it at a volume that the rest of the family protests about. I feel like I need the subtitles all the time now.

I find it difficult to talk to my family about this, because they have a habit of laughing it off: "You're only young, don't be silly, you're not going deaf!" I don't know what to do anymore.
    I'd suggest visiting or booking an appointment at the local hearing clinic about your hearing loss. They'll be able to diagnose the problems with your ears there. I'm able to sympathise with you because I'm losing my hearing too and I also have to watch TV with the subtitles on or I can't hear it properly at all! Having to put on the subtitles is nothing to be ashamed of! How old are you?

If you want to talk to me, you can PM me at any time! Good luck with your family, hopefully they will accept your hearing loss. If they don't, perhaps you could show them this post! I'm fifteen years old and have moderate hearing loss. I have to wear two hearing aids or I can hardly hear anything around me. I hope everything goes well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I'd suggest visiting or booking an appointment at the local hearing clinic about your hearing loss. They'll be able to diagnose the problems with your ears there. I'm able to sympathise with you because I'm losing my hearing too and I also have to watch TV with the subtitles on or I can't hear it properly at all! Having to put on the subtitles is nothing to be ashamed of! How old are you?

If you want to talk to me, you can PM me at any time! Good luck with your family, hopefully they will accept your hearing loss. If they don't, perhaps you could show them this post! I'm fifteen years old and have moderate hearing loss. I have to wear two hearing aids or I can hardly hear anything around me. I hope everything goes well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OP has apparently already had their hearing loss assessed and documented since the age of six. :p:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Flotographer)
    Oh, I have. In fact, I regularly see an audiologist at hospital; it's been well documented that I've been losing my hearing since the age of six, it's because I suffered a lot with very aggressive ear infections that caused permanent damage.

My parents are just in some sort of denial about it.
    Are your parents going with you to your hospital appointments? I have problems with my hearing which means my hearing is too sensitive and my parents don't understand it either. Dad did once take the piss by saying to mum "you'll have to whisper. Sofie's just had her ears syringed".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Are your parents going with you to your hospital appointments? I have problems with my hearing which means my hearing is too sensitive and my parents don't understand it either. Dad did once take the piss by saying to mum "you'll have to whisper. Sofie's just had her ears syringed".
    They used to. When I was a kid and still getting the infections, they were very desperate to stop them; problem was, the infections seemed so resistant - doctors would think they were gone, stop treatment, then they'd just resurface. And they happened so frequently. Then they did manage to get rid of the infections, which is when my hearing started to be assessed for lasting damage.

That's the point at which my parents mentally put their hands over their ears and just went "La la la, not listening to this!" I think they wanted to believe that all the problems had been resolved now the infections had been stopped, they didn't want to consider that there had been lasting consequences. They went with me to the appointments, but didn't really engage with them. I eventually asked them to stop coming with me because they just treated it like they were humouring me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.