Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you decide whether or not you like a song? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've realised that all the songs I like could suit being the background music to a game trailer, or a movie intro or from the beginning of a tv show.

I can't play an instrument or sing, and my favourite tunes have little in common other than a chorus that I can understand, a swift change in chords and that's about it.

Other than the background of course

How do you decide what song you like or don't?

ReputationRep:
    I usually like a song either because the singer has an incredible voice or because it has nice lyrics.

I also like music that tells a story and moves me (like opera and musicals)

And then I like music that makes me feel happy and dancy and want to party.

ReputationRep:
    Lyrics, for me. Essentially, if the lyrical quality is on the level of 'Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?', the backing track could be Beethoven's Ninth, I will still launch the most vicious invective against it.

ReputationRep:
    The beat, amount of bass/ base track. I don't normally listen to music with lyrics though

ReputationRep:
    I don't really.... if I find something catchy then I like it. Putting my iPod on random I have all different genres together, and I could like one song for the drum beat, another for the "energy" or upbeat-ness, another for the singer's ability, another for the meaning of the lyrics, or a cool guitar riff or bass line.... I think if you could work out what makes people like music so easily you'd have a fortune on your hands :p:

ReputationRep:
    They usually need to make me feel hyperactive

ReputationRep:
    As an example, from the Bioshock trailer

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty picky when it comes to songs (I'm studying A2 music and it's totally changed my expectations of music) but one thing that's pretty much essential for me is really well-written, deep lyrics that explore a mysterious concept such as the origins of thoughts or insanity, but don't specifically 'say' it in the song, i.e. leave the meaning of the lyrics open to interpretation. My favourite bands are Alter Bridge, Metallica and Stone Sour, and in my opinion, their level of lyric-writing is absolutely unparalleled.

Also, That Bearded Man, if you like the type of music in the bioshock trailer above, you'd probably like a band called Halestorm. The singer is absolutely phenomenal and the melodies are catchy enough, so you should check them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyb99)
    They usually need to make me feel hyperactive
    you mean they need to make you GET HYPER

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    Errr, yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebony_01)
    But remember that the variety of texture is also an essential thing to lead towards success, moreover all parts should be musically interesting and should play a leading character at some point in the piece so that they have the ability to make some one abnormal (hehe)...
    I guess that really depends on the type of song and the genre of the band/artist. Prog Rock bands such as Rush and Dream Theater definitely put this to use; so do film composers.
    But I absolutely agree that it's important in the process of building ideas and strengthening lyrical themes in the song. I think this is why genres such as pop and hip-hop don't appeal to me - for me, there just isn't enough for you to 'discover' and interpret for yourself, and the texture is dominated by the presence of the singer/rapper.

ReputationRep:
    Errr, yeah
    i was talking about the song droideka get hyper if you didnt get it

ReputationRep:
    i was talking about the song droideka get hyper if you didnt get it
    No, I didn't, sorry Which band?

ReputationRep:
    Usually the best songs are the ones which give me goosebumps after the first listen (but it's very rare). If I listen to a song around 2/3 times and don't like it, I'll probably never like it.
    For me, it's a mix of both lyrics and music- I like music which you can lose yourself in.

ReputationRep:
    Hahah I immediately thought of ksi :rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't, sorry Which band?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxuJ3RosR80

this song is epic cant believe you dont know it :O
    enjoy x

ReputationRep:
    Generally it is just the feel of the music. I like a lot of different genres/styles so it is difficult to pinpoint one thing that stands out as being a deciding factor. I suppose being a vocalist myself I tend to listen out for good vocals, but even then "good" can vary so much - as long as they are in tune and time then I could potentially like something. I think for me, it is easier to say what makes me dislike a song, because I like so much! If I find myself nodding or humming along to something, perhaps even improvising/harmonising then it is safe to say I like it. If i find myself listening to intricacies in the music then it has really captured my attention!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    Hahah I immediately thought of ksi :rofl3:
    how else would that song be famous lets be honest
    KSI army woop woop wooo

ReputationRep:
    how else would that song be famous lets be honest
    KSI army woop woop wooo
    True ;0 *perv face*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    True ;0 *perv face*
    i believe its called a rape face
    <----imagine the face is black

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.