Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lucid dreaming is when you become aware that you are dreaming. Many people who lucid dream find this awareness allows them to control the dream.

I was wondering if any TSR people have managed to lucid dream, and if so how?

ReputationRep:
    I've been aware of this for a few years now and have tried and failed so I gave up. I know about all the signs you are supposed to look for in your dreams such as clock faces (apparently clock faces are blank in your dreams). But nothing worked for me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Me!
    I just keep a dream diary so I can remember my dreams better, and I do reality checks from time to time. That's it It works most of the time.

I've tried all the other methods like WILD, WBTB, MILD but nothing seems to work for me.
    In other words, If I try too much I don't get LD, that's why the simple reality checks are working great for me

ReputationRep:
    It happens but I cannot control when it happens. I haven't tried any of the techniques though. It's just happened a few times. When you realise you're dreaming the key is to not get too excited or you'll end up waking up. As for how to realise you're dreaming, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Had it a lot when i was younger, often controlling my dreams quite vividly. Not so much as i've grown older, though i have developed sleep paralysis, "hypnojerk" and a number of other weird sleep habits... interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I used to be in complete control of my dreams. I could even carry on a dream the next night from the night before and stuff. Now I am still aware I am dreaming a lot of the time but can't control it. I get horrible false awakenings and try desperately hard to wake up from a bad dream but can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    Me!
    I just keep a dream diary so I can remember my dreams better, and I do reality checks from time to time. That's it It works most of the time.

I've tried all the other methods like WILD, WBTB, MILD but nothing seems to work for me.
    In other words, If I try too much I don't get LD, that's why the simple reality checks are working great for me
    I started keeping a dream diary, although is there any concensus on how detailed they should be? Is the idea of them just to get in to the habit of actually remembering the dreams, or so you can identify patterns in dreams you you can recognise when you're dreaming?

So far my only lucid moments are in nightmares when I realise I want out, so wake up. :P

ReputationRep:
    It happens most often for me around 5-8am when I wake up and try squeeze in an hour or two more of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Happens all the time. Also, not just aware that I am dreaming but can control the content sometimes and bring myself out of the dream and into another one. It seems to be something that just happens and as far as I am aware, there are no particular techniques to be able to do this although I have always had a very active imagination as have the other people I know who dream lucidly. This might only be true in some cases though... However, it is true that if you do not have enough sleep for a few days then get a good amount of sleep, you will dream more.

ReputationRep:
    I did when I was a teenager. Not sure what the stimulus was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Happens all the time. Also, not just aware that I am dreaming but can control the content sometimes and bring myself out of the dream and into another one. It seems to be something that just happens and as far as I am aware, there are no particular techniques to be able to do this although I have always had a very active imagination as have the other people I know who dream lucidly. This might only be true in some cases though... However, it is true that if you do not have enough sleep for a few days then get a good amount of sleep, you will dream more.
    Quite a few people actually train themselves to lucid dream, by recording their dreams and performing reality checks, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I lucid dream pretty much once per night. I owe it to my medication (Venlafaxine & Propranolol - which have both been 'accused' of inducing lucid dreams).

I am able to take full control of my dreams and do as I please because I am fully aware of it being a dream, the awareness can come about differently. There are generic triggers, but some people have their own. My mum passed away so whenever I see her, I know it's a dream because I am able to differentiate her presence with dreaming and reality. At first I couldn't, and this really troubled me to the point where I had lengthy counseling.

This sounds weird but a few nights ago I dreamed that I had killed someone and had to dispose of the body with my brother, there were 2 security guards on patrol and at the time I remember being terrified, and then I just became so aware that it was a dream.

One time however, I've been completely aware that it was a dream but I was totally stuck into it. Usually I kick my legs and that wakes me up but it just wasn't working. I could feel the cold air blowing over my cheeks from my bedroom window being open, I knew exactly how I was laying in bed and clutching my pillow but I just couldn't seem to wake up. That really wasn't nice.

One recurring thing I seem to do in lucid dreams is fly/hover a lot. I'd say 50% of my dreams concern me flying/hovering for one reason or another. I tend to lucid dream more in the daytime, although I think this is because my sleeping is often disturbed and I wake up half way through and thus am able to recall it better.

Last night I had a very lucid dream about being at school and the teacher got a multiplication wrong and I was able to actually work it out and correct her. It's a little bit weird, but I really enjoy it.

I'll see if I am able to recall any lucid dreaming tonight, though its 3:30AM and I can't seem to sleep... I might start a lucid dreaming diary on TSR and reveal all of my twisted fantasies for your entertainment!

ReputationRep:
    I feel as though I'm controlling certain aspects of my dreams a lot. Although I've never purposely tried to lucid dream.

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me a few times in my life. For me I gain control when I have been briefly woken up by a light external factor. I imedietly am able to go back to sleep and become aware in the dream.

I remember one time I could actually pilot the iron man suit I had in my dream it was pretty awesome, seemed like it lasted for ages, but I woke up around 2 hours later. It happens now and again but I can't really do it on command.

ReputationRep:
    Happens to me occasionally, most of those times I just use the opportunity to fly :P

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally have lucid dreams. I don't control when they happen though, and it actually spoils it for me; I like my weird dreams, but as soon as I realise I'm dreaming I actually find it a bit boring because I know it's not real. Someone in my dream will be trying to draw me into the weird stuff going on and I'm just like 'I can't be bothered, it's just a dream, I'll wake up in a minute'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Every time my dream becomes 'lucid' I start messing things up. Like if I am having a nightmare, I'll become invisible to escape from whatever it is (since a voice pops up 'its a dream, you can do anything!!') or make myself walk through walls. The problem what I face is that on every occasion where I have been aware of the fact that I am in a dream, I start losing connection with my dream and within a few mins I am awake.

There have only been a total of two occasions where I have had a rock solid lucid dreams spinning for hours. I have often tried to get it back but it just hasn't worked out that well again :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I've only started having them in the last year, and for some reason I only ever get them in the morning when I've already been awake and then fallen back asleep.

The fact you're dreaming is nearly always in the back of your mind. It just doesn't really connect with your mind. But in these dreams, something weird happens and I just think, "wait a minute... That's not realistic / how did I get here / this can't be real life." I wish I had some cool tales to tell about what it's like after that point, but I tend to get really excited and wake up within 10 seconds. Managed to make a wall melt in front of me the first time it happened though, that was pretty sweet.

I don't know if it's normal, but I never really get full control. The weird dreamy things that happen continue to happen without my consent. Sometimes I make a change and it reverts against my will. Quite annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a phase of having these dreams a while back and they are amazing to be honest! I never had full control but I could walk around knowing I was dreaming, and occasionally control the environment if I used all my brain power.

Not lucid dreaming, but at the moment I keep having vivid dreams where really mundane stuff happens, and then I don't know whether it was real or not a couple of days later. Very odd!

ReputationRep:
    Well as promised I said I'd tell if I had one! It was very short and a little weird, not the best I've had, I didn't have full control and had a few glitches.

Basically I was working in a bar which had a ground level and a higher level with a balcony kind of thing, a guy shouted down to order some drinks, he threw his card down and I got the drinks and at this point it became lucid.

There were a group of girls in front of me and I took payment for the drinks, (for some reason) I then bet them £5000 that I could throw his credit card back up to him and land it in his shirt pocket (totally impossible in real life!) The girls doubted this (obviously) so I pulled out £5000 to prove it. This was where I had a bit of a glitch, I kept trying to pull the money out of my pocket but I couldn't visualise it, I tried 3/4 times but it just didn't happen so I just placed 'it' on the bar and the girls reacted as if it was £5000 so I kind of got away with that glitch. At which point I threw the card up, hit the side wall, hit the top of the balcony and it landed in his pocket.

At that point the dream ended... Bit weird and not the best because of the little glitch but it was lucid!

Please nobody analyse me on what this dream means! Hah.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.