Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So now we are in 2013 and computers are eating everything (NOM NOM NOM NOM) Do you think books can survive the digital age.

This thread is a debate to whether books could survive against ebooks and the digital age.

I think they can survive as radio survived against tv and lots of businesses would go crash and burn.

What do you think post your opinions bellow

ReputationRep:
    Probably yes, given the amount of books I seem to buy I think I'm keeping a large section of the publishing world alive

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't like kindles, me amd my mum both have one and even though the books are cheaper, easier to read (adjustable font etc.), quicker to purchase and a lot smaller I still love a book! I know a lot of my family feel like this too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Maybe eBooks are going to take over, one day, but not until those whizzkids in Silicon Valley invent a way to bend the corners, fold the spine, yellow the pages, add a coffee ring or two and allow the plastic tablet to fall open at a favorite page."

​- Russell T Davies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinlensreflex)
    Probably yes, given the amount of books I seem to buy I think I'm keeping a large section of the publishing world alive
    ^This, if push comes to shove, I'm prepared to keep the book industry afloat single handed. NO MORE BORDERS-ESQUE DISASTERS.

ReputationRep:
    Not for me. Nothing beats a good paperback!

ReputationRep:
    Ew

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eww

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A pre-emptive Ewww!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beats being able to turn the pages of a book. So couldn't deal with a kindle and all those buttons.

ReputationRep:
    My mum reads a lot and brought a kindle last year and now refuses to real physical books and swears by it.

I disagree completely and prefer to hold a physical book in my hand. I like the feel of turning the pages myself and I feel I can get more of an escape out of a book rather than an ebook

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Schools will forever keep books printing. English teachers, and their students who actually like the subject, swear by books. You get to reread your favourite bits, and scribble all over them (then buy a new one) and it's so much fun. You take them on holiday and there is no horrible glare from the sun on your screen. It's great. Books are wonderful

ReputationRep:
    let's face it ... if you need a piece of paper in a hurry your kindle is not going to hit the spot...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.