Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am choosing my AS levels but I am very indecisive and cannot decide on a career path so I have had to try to keep my options open by doing geography, biology, English literature and history. Are my AS levels that random that I am closing a lot of options for myself, for example, is doing only one science useless? My possible career paths are paediatric nursing, primary school teaching or marine biology (at the moment!). Thank you and I am grateful for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateAngel)
    Hello I am choosing my AS levels but I am very indecisive and cannot decide on a career path so I have had to try to keep my options open by doing geography, biology, English literature and history. Are my AS levels that random that I am closing a lot of options for myself, for example, is doing only one science useless? My possible career paths are paediatric nursing, primary school teaching or marine biology (at the moment!). Thank you and I am grateful for any advice.
    They sound like fantastic A levels, nice and varied, and well respected Keep them as they are - any uni and most courses would accept them.

ReputationRep:
    geo bio history and geo are all respectable AS subjects and are fine for the courses you want to do

(Original post by LadyHaha)
    If you want my honest opinion, I think you'd struggle at AS level science if you were to attempt all three. Even if your school had let you remark and the did go up, you will still have inly scraped a B - still a very respectable grade, but I'm not sure how prepared you'd be for the jump up to AS level. Surely you could try Physics though, if they're letting you do Maths? And maybe Economics instead of Business Studies, as it's more mathsy, so you'd probably enjoy it more...
    what are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    geo bio history and geo are all respectable AS subjects and are fine for the courses you want to do

what are you talking about?
    Internet crashed and I copied and pasted the wrong response haha, I've edited it to what I meant to say for this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyHaha)
    Internet crashed and I copied and pasted the wrong response haha, I've edited it to what I meant to say for this one!
    haha I got so confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    haha I got so confused
    Sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    Unless you absolutely hate maths, I would consider maybe changing one of your subjects to maths. Your choices are very good but maths will also keep a lot of other options open.

ReputationRep:
    Biology alone isn't very useful, and will just be a LOT of unnecessary work. A science will impress university admissions officers but very few science courses will accept Biology without at least one other science, or even Maths.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I did English Language, Philosophy & Ethics, English Literature and History and the workload was massive, so I dropped History in January!

But, I'm making a comparison between English Lit and Hist when I say the workload was massive! Be prepared to be bombarded with countless sheets for History! History was the subject that had the most amount of information you had to revise, was horrible aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cestlavie10)
    Biology alone isn't very useful, and will just be a LOT of unnecessary work. A science will impress university admissions officers but very few science courses will accept Biology without at least one other science, or even Maths.
    Thank you for the advice Do you think the fact that I have geography with it will be of any use? When you mentionned science courses, does that include environmental/conservation type degrees too? Should I coose to persue paediatric nursing, will bilogy alone be OK? Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.