Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had these pains all day and I'm not sure what's wrong they are sharp but not that painful. I'm very healthy, I 'bodybuild' so I'm not obese and in pretty good condition. I have no family history of heart conditions also I don't take any supplements that would harm me. Please don't say go to doctors as it only happens for a day then goes away for like 1-2 months. If anyone has had anything like this give me some advice and if you need to ask me any questions please do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of different reasons why you might have chest pain. It also really depends where in your chest. If it's slightly to your left and roughly the height of your nipple, then it's probably your heart and you really should see a doctor to be sure theres nothing going on (could be small blood clots or pulvatations... or a really large number of things). If its lower (like at the end of your ribs) then it could actually be your liver, or could be a mild infection at the bottom of your lung (could then be either right or left side) which you just can't knock on the head. Really even if it's only a mild infection you should ask your doctor to listen to your chest just to rule out anything else. I left a chest infection (obviously started off mild) for 8 or 9 months, by which time it had escalated into pneumonia. Signs of infection are a raised temperature (if it's a mild infection, then this won't be significant) a general feeling of not feeling well, perhaps tiredness or muscle ache/stiffness, occassionally having hot flushes or feeling suddenly sick for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty Bear)
    There's lots of different reasons why you might have chest pain. It also really depends where in your chest. If it's slightly to your left and roughly the height of your nipple, then it's probably your heart and you really should see a doctor to be sure theres nothing going on (could be small blood clots or pulvatations... or a really large number of things). If its lower (like at the end of your ribs) then it could actually be your liver, or could be a mild infection at the bottom of your lung (could then be either right or left side) which you just can't knock on the head. Really even if it's only a mild infection you should ask your doctor to listen to your chest just to rule out anything else. I left a chest infection (obviously started off mild) for 8 or 9 months, by which time it had escalated into pneumonia. Signs of infection are a raised temperature (if it's a mild infection, then this won't be significant) a general feeling of not feeling well, perhaps tiredness or muscle ache/stiffness, occassionally having hot flushes or feeling suddenly sick for no reason.
    Thank you! It's at the bottom of my ribs just on top of my abs. I've got no other symptoms other than a temperature but will book a doctors appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definately sensible, good luck : )

ReputationRep:
    I get these sometimes and after a few hospital panics it turned out to be spasms. It'll probably be nothing serious.

ReputationRep:
    OP: Disregard the above, it's rubbish.

(Except for the bit about seeing your doctor - that's about the only bit of it which makes sense).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

(Except for the bit about seeing your doctor - that's about the only bit of it which makes sense).
    Elaborate on how it's rubbish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownError)
    Elaborate on how it's rubbish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    His explanations of heart "pain", "pulvutations" (whatever that is - does he mean palpitations?!), infection etc are just wrong/misleading.

He isn't a doctor - don't be freaked out by what he's said. If you're feeling pain you should go and see your doctor as they will be the only person who can properly take a history from you and examine you to see what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    I had weird intermittent chest pains for months at one point, and the doctor said it was probably the muscles of my chest wall. Eventually they just stopped happening so no idea what they were, why they started or why they stopped. If it hurts more if you take a deep breath in, it could be because of your chest wall muscles (although having said that, if it hurts more when you take a deep breath it could also be pleuresy). Basically, go to the doctor and ask them. I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about it though as long as you don't have any other symptoms, in my experience the human body does some strange things that often can't be explained or identified!

ReputationRep:

Agreed, as someone who studied medicine for four years, I can tell you that it's pretty much all rubbish. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    His explanations of heart "pain", "pulvutations" (whatever that is - does he mean palpitations?!), infection etc are just wrong/misleading.

He isn't a doctor - don't be freaked out by what he's said. If you're feeling pain you should go and see your doctor as they will be the only person who can properly take a history from you and examine you to see what's going on.
    I'm pretty sure it's obvious I'm not a doctor and people here post knowing that no-one here is a doctor... if they wanted professional advice they would visit the NHS website or call an emergency doctor.

And pain followed by high temperature is an indication of infection and like i did say, the only way to be sure of what it is, is to go to the doctor. Hence why everything was said in conditional tense. Now since in his post it said, "Do not say go to the doctor" replying with a plain "go to the doctor" wouldn't be seen as helpful

Yes I meant palpitations, I got that wrong.

Side note: I'm a girl

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's obvious I'm not a doctor and people here post knowing that no-one here is a doctor... if they wanted professional advice they would visit the NHS website or call an emergency doctor.
    Very true, but that doesn't give you a licence to post misleading and untrue statements which you're (intentionally or unintentionally) making sound like medical facts.

(Sorry for referring to you as "he").

ReputationRep:
    Very true, but that doesn't give you a licence to post misleading and untrue statements which you're (intentionally or unintentionally) making sound like medical facts.

(Sorry for referring to you as "he").
    Sorry wasn't intentional

ReputationRep:
    It is very common for young people to get muscle spasms in the intercostal muscles (can't remember the name of the condition). This tends to occur intermittently for a couple of days at a time. If pain increases when you breathe, it is most likely this. It is a poorly understood condition, largely because it's totally harmless so nobody can be bothered to investigate it - but can be easily mistaken for heart troubles by hypochondriacs. I get it myself occasionally.

I think if you were having heart troubles you'd know about it, certainly a heart attack is very distinctive, you get pain all down your arm and a yawning sense of dread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    It is very common for young people to get muscle spasms in the intercostal muscles (can't remember the name of the condition). This tends to occur intermittently for a couple of days at a time. If pain increases when you breathe, it is most likely this. It is a poorly understood condition, largely because it's totally harmless so nobody can be bothered to investigate it - but can be easily mistaken for heart troubles by hypochondriacs. I get it myself occasionally.

I think if you were having heart troubles you'd know about it, certainly a heart attack is very distinctive, you get pain all down your arm and a yawning sense of dread.
    I think you're talking about Precordial Catch Syndrome.

I have this, and while it hurts like a *****, it isn't serious. Although still get it checked out by a doctor if you are concerned.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.