Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I need some advice! I am interested in taking a MA in Documentary Film-making. Similar programs are offered in 4 unversities: The London College of Communication, Goldsmiths University, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary's University. What do you think of those and what would you suggest me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarino)
    Hey guys, I need some advice! I am interested in taking a MA in Documentary Film-making. Similar programs are offered in 4 unversities: The London College of Communication, Goldsmiths University, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary's University. What do you think of those and what would you suggest me?
    Up, can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarino)
    What is your experience with film making? Do you have a demo reel or portfolio and experience? Most of these courses require a portfolio and experience working in the industry to apply.

I personally would not recommend studying documentary filmmaking as a MA. I work in the industry myself and can say filmmaking is a very hard industry to break into. Almost impossible. And a Masters degree will not help you. 99% of people who do these courses are wasting their money on a piece of paper and a 'dream.'

I know people with degrees, masters, even someone with a PHD in filmmaking who cant get work, even in London. My friends with filmmaking MAs are unemployed.

So I wouldn't recommend any of those courses. Don't waste your money.
    :bricks:

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Have you decided yet? I need to make the same decision in one day!
    Choosing between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, the same course, but can't tell the clear difference between the two from their websites.
    Can somebody help?? Thanks!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.