Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've attached a link of Ed Balls berating the Coalition for their "tax cut for millionaires."

Even for Labour, this is plumbing new depths.

They were in power for 13 years. They had the highest rate of income tax set at 40p. Yes 40p!.

And they moved the band up to 50p months prior to the general election in 2010 - to set up the trap for the Tories should they come into power.

The Tories have now lowered the tax band to 45p - which is still higher than Labour had for the majority of their time in office.

As ever, Labour are playing up to the gallery and trying to dupe the public. They are beneath contempt.

They say we get the politicians we deserve. What could we possibly have done to get someone as hopelessly incompetent as Ed Balls?

"Tax cuts for millionaires" being parroted by the general public left, right and center. What bloody morons. Don't let facts get in the way of anything.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-not-fair.html

ReputationRep:
    Where's the policies?

Even the Lord of Darkness that is Peter Mandleson has criticised them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Where's the policies?

Even the Lord of Darkness that is Peter Mandleson has criticised them
    He's right though! It's just not good enough. Three years into the current Parliament and still they've got nothing. They've flirted with "blue labour", with "predistribution of wealth." Still nothing concrete. They're supposed to be ready to govern.

Instead all they can do is set up traps for the government and feign outrage at a tax cut they actually support.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question, yes they could. Just look at the Lib dems. That being said I'd like to see Labours alternatives. I really would. Problem is, they rarely provide any. All they do is criticise and I hardly think that it's going to help them in slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scots King)
    Labour don't have any - an absolute shambles
    I can't believe people are buying into their BS, they screwed up the economy. The 2 Ed's were close so they are not credible

Someone please explain what One Nation Labour is? it is pure rhetoric and taken from the Tories

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are buying into their BS, they screwed up the economy. The 2 Ed's were close so they are not credible

Someone please explain what One Nation Labour is? it is pure rhetoric and taken from the Tories
    It really is incredible that they are still taken seriously. Just goes to show the state of British politics.

"One nation labour." I agree. Totally meaningless. Almost as bad as Cleggy's "alarm clock britain"

I bet Labour can't even believe their luck - they can just spout out any old nonesense and people will buy it!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't set it as a challenge - they might exceed it!

ReputationRep:
    He's right though! It's just not good enough. Three years into the current Parliament and still they've got nothing. They've flirted with "blue labour", with "predistribution of wealth." Still nothing concrete. They're supposed to be ready to govern.

Instead all they can do is set up traps for the government and feign outrage at a tax cut they actually support.
    That's the problem with the fixed-term parliament the Tories introduced right after their election in 2010. No incentive for Labour to criticise their policies until the year or two before the election. Political manipulation to ensure their ideological cuts went through unopposed.

ReputationRep:
    It really is incredible that they are still taken seriously. Just goes to show the state of British politics.

"One nation labour." I agree. Totally meaningless. Almost as bad as Cleggy's "alarm clock britain"

I bet Labour can't even believe their luck - they can just spout out any old nonesense and people will buy it!
    Here is another slogan, The Big Society from the Tories.

I hope there is another balanced Parliament in 2015 because it will be scary if Labservatives run the country on their own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    To answer your question, yes they could. Just look at the Lib dems. That being said I'd like to see Labours alternatives. I really would. Problem is, they rarely provide any. All they do is criticise and I hardly think that it's going to help them in slightest.
    I fear the worst if they do sink any lower! In all likelihood Labour will form our next government and they aren't filling many with confidence.

Yeah, they haven't got any alternatives. Which is why I'm so amazed that people still take them seriously.

ReputationRep:
    You forgot the 10p tax row.

IT is the Lib Dems that have increased the tax threshold and anyone below it does not pay tax

ReputationRep:

I hope there is another balanced Parliament in 2015 because it will be scary if Labservatives run on their own
    There was a good quote from Michael Winner if I remember correctly on the 'Big Society.' Agreed, utterly meaningless as a term.

Yeah, I think what this country is crying out for is a genuine alternative party. Too often Labservatives have a community of interest, for all they try to make out that they are different. Almost a one party system.

ReputationRep:
    What does Labour actually stand for these days? Blair and his cronies destroyed the soul of the party, revamped into a completely new right wing party that stands for compromise politics.

Wonderful statement by a true Labour politician, Tony Benn:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...rney-tony-benn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyHaha)
    I wouldn't set it as a challenge - they might exceed it!
    Oh my! haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    That's the problem with the fixed-term parliament the Tories introduced right after their election in 2010. No incentive for Labour to criticise their policies until the year or two before the election. Political manipulation to ensure their ideological cuts went through unopposed.
    We can still have an early general election though:

Fixed Terms Parliament Act 2011

s.2 - Early parliamentary general elections.

(1)An early parliamentary general election is to take place if— .
    (a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and .
    (b)if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).

ReputationRep:
    You forgot the 10p tax row.

IT is the Lib Dems that have increased the tax threshold and anyone below it does not pay tax
    Indeed! That was a shocker as well.

I'm absolutely in favour of the tax threshold increase also, shame that Labour haven't openly come out and supported it!

ReputationRep:
    I am not a big Tory fan, nor a big Labour fan either when it comes down to it...
    but the worst thing about all this political drama is the manipulation of the public through the mass media... people are bombarded with criticisms of the tories' latest schemes left, right and centre before they've even had time to look at the facts! There are positive things about the 45p tax band, but in this society it seems a crime to even acknowledge them, without being branded a complete tory that is!
    As the opposition party, Labour need to be providing viable alternatives instead of purely ripping the Tories to shreds... haven't we had enough of that already?

ReputationRep:
    I've attached a link of Ed Balls berating the Coalition for their "tax cut for millionaires."

Even for Labour, this is plumbing new depths.

They were in power for 13 years. They had the highest rate of income tax set at 40p. Yes 40p!.

And they moved the band up to 50p months prior to the general election in 2010 - to set up the trap for the Tories should they come into power.

The Tories have now lowered the tax band to 45p - which is still higher than Labour had for the majority of their time in office.

As ever, Labour are playing up to the gallery and trying to dupe the public. They are beneath contempt.
    This rather banal Tory line of argument is really beginning to grate on me. The circumstances under the previous Labour government were entirely different to the ones we are experiencing now.

But I do agree with you that 40p was far too low for the top earners!

I will revenge neg for this.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! That was a shocker as well.

I'm absolutely in favour of the tax threshold increase also, shame that Labour haven't openly come out and supported it!
    This is the same Party that has stolen the Mansion Tax idea

ReputationRep:

I hope there is another balanced Parliament in 2015 because it will be scary if Labservatives run the country on their own
    What would we get from the Lib Dems getting into power? More broken promises? At least the Tories are consistent.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.