The Student Room Group

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

I got 1 UMS mark off A* in AQA Physics GCSE. Should I get a remark??
My history coursework mysteriously moved from a grade A to a grade C :eek: Is this even possible?
Reply 142
Hey peops.

I have just got my gcses in yestaday and erm i dont think iv done as well as i could like ive passed Maths , english and add. Science but i got d in food, religious std., core science, business and got a E in french.

So i thought i'll resit these exams following school year at 6th form

let say for rs (religious std) i got 40 marks on the paper based on last years topics but the paper based on this years topics i got 70 which is a B.
can i resit the paper based on last years or do i have to resit the whole subject?

Thank you very much
Original post by goldenshades
My history coursework mysteriously moved from a grade A to a grade C :eek: Is this even possible?

My History grade also declined, but from an A to a B. I got A's in the China and America exams, but then I got a B in both Medicine exams, so my grade got pulled down. I wouldn't be surprised if the grade got pulled down, but I'd definitely consider resitting the exam. I'm doing the same thing.
I got A's in my Additional Science exams, but I got a C in my coursework. Does anyone know if I can redo the coursework or something? I'm taking the three sciences and Maths for A-level so I'm quite gutted that my grade got ruined because of some insignificant coursework (I didn't complete it with a foul attitude or anything, to the best of my ability actually). I'm doing the Edexcel exam board. Also, is it possible to just retake Chemistry and not the other two for Additional Science?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 145
Hi people, I have a question. Is English as a second language IGCSE equivalent to english language to which every university mentioned? If not, what is the minimum English language qualification for most universities in UK, especially courses such as engineering?
I got D in physics 5 marks off a grade C Ums D in biology with 6 marks away from C and 7 marks away from C in maths are they worth a re mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you allowed to get ur coursework remarked?
Reply 148
I got a B in my english langauge exam only 1 ums of an A, which I really really need :frown:( is it worth a remark ????:smile:
Reply 149
Original post by ghost_rebel
Are you allowed to get ur coursework remarked?

It depends on how your coursework/controlled assessment was originally marked. If it was marked externally, then yes, you can request it to be remarked. If it was marked by a teacher and then sent off to be moderated externally, then the whole centre's coursework has to be remarked. In this case, your school will usually decide if they want to send everyone's coursework off for a remark or not. :smile:
Reply 150
Original post by Hafza123
I got a B in my english langauge exam only 1 ums of an A, which I really really need :frown:( is it worth a remark ????:smile:

If you do really need it, go for it!
Reply 151
Original post by Student2356
I got D in physics 5 marks off a grade C Ums D in biology with 6 marks away from C and 7 marks away from C in maths are they worth a re mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, it is very unlikely for your marks to go up in the sciences/maths and 5 marks is quite a large amount. I'd resit here rather than remark. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
It depends on how your coursework/controlled assessment was originally marked. If it was marked externally, then yes, you can request it to be remarked. If it was marked by a teacher and then sent off to be moderated externally, then the whole centre's coursework has to be remarked. In this case, your school will usually decide if they want to send everyone's coursework off for a remark or not. :smile:

Thanks!what do u mean by marked externally?
Reply 153
Original post by ghost_rebel
Thanks!what do u mean by marked externally?

Marked by examiners rather than by your own school teachers. :smile:
Reply 154
Hi guys, do you think it's worth me trying for a remark?

I'm 6 UMS points off a higher grade in English Language. Presumably this would equate to 3 or 4 raw marks, which doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. My overall UMS score is such that it's very unlikely I would drop below the existing grade.
Original post by usycool1
What subjects are they (the one's you want to remark)? :smile:

SORRY, I NEVER SAW THIS UNTIL RECENTLY DX
History, English Literature, English Language and Classical Greek D;
Reply 156
is it worth getting a math paper remarked? I was 2 UMS away from an A star and if I had gotten that then my overall grade would've been an A star so should I chance the remark? I'm also 20 UMS above the A grade boundary and the exam board is CCEA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Is it possible to resubmit controlled assesment , and what is the 40% terminal rule. This is for english langauge ocr :smile: xx
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Edexcel History A Germany
I got my results today. I have done brilliantly on my history tests iv been getting B's and C's previously then today for unit 2 history A i get a E WTF and guess what i found out my friend getting As and A*s also gets a E this can;t be right what should i do get a remark or complain to teacher? or etc the test was really good and revised the booklet for it inside out and couldn't of done better and i felt it was the best exam i had done.

same i got a d in my geog im gettin remark i was like wtf i revised like hell even with english so im getting a remark it will cost but im going to fight for it because i worked hard for it and so did you exam boards mess up a girl in my school had ds remarked to an A* the examiners are lazy
Considering a remark for my GCSE geography paper cause I am 2 UMS off an A overall.

GCSE Geography A Unit 1: 137/150 (A*)

GCSE Geography A Unit 2: 110/150 (B)

GCSE Geography A CA: 71/100 (B)

Overall Grade: 318/400 (B)

Thoughts on remarking? was predicted an A but got a B partly because my controlled assessment grade was initially an A (49/60) but when it moderated it dropped by like 8 marks so its now a low B.

Any thoughts on whether to remark?

I got 52/84 marks on the unit 2 paper which is 110 UMS and to get 112 UMS, I only need 53.

Which means 137 + 112 + 71 = 320/400

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest