The Student Room Group

Nhs bursary

Hello, does anyone know if we have to wait for a letter or anything to come to tell us to apply for a student NHS bursary or can we just go ahead and do it?! I'm so confused because they say we have to be invited to apply but people are saying we can do it now?

HELP PLEASE?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Please see my response below to snowbud. 6th April. Full details provided xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi please see my thread that I posted 5/4/13. I will cut and paste here.<br />
<br />
PLEASE READ important info re nursing finance.<br />
Those who are applying for finance here goes .<br />
<br />
I have just spoke with SFE . All of us are only entitled to a maintenance loan from SFE this is because we get NHS bursary. (This is the same regardless of parent, living at home and financially situation). Living outside London entitlement would be 2324 if you don't currently live with parents. If you live with parents it based means tested( based on there financial situation). Because its a LOAN we all have to pay it back when we start earning 21k or more ( you earn just over 21 as nurse). We would pay back a maximum of £30 a month this includes RPI interest of 5% so really not very much. SFE tel number is 0845 300 5090<br />
<br />
<br />
She told me that the NHS something we don't pay back. It varies and is means tested ( based on finances of parents or husband or partner) ( if you have been financially independent of parents for 36 months you will be classed as individual) . (Also if you have dependants like kids). Dependant on what you are entitled to could include the - parents allowance. - dependants allowance - non income accessed award £1000. - extra weeks allowance . She gave me a helpline number for NHS bursary 03003301345, I called it and we can apply from now as they like the applications in up to 6 months before. We have to register and create a user I.d and password. We then get a ref number that starts with SBA and this is what the SFE will need (if you apply for SFE). There is no ref number that we receive in post. Our Uni will send notification to NHS bursary of us having a place on course. This will tie in with our application for NHS bursary.<br />
<br />
Lastly you don't have to apply for SFE but have to apply for NHS bursary as this is how our tuition fees are paid. Note we DO NOT pay back anything we get from NHS.<br />
<br />
Join us on Facebook<br />
https//www.facebook.com/groups/studentnurse<br />
<br />
Hope this helps. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Sorry br is where I've cut and pasted xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I was told we can't apply for the NHS bursary until we are contacted first. Our Uni have to confirm our place on the course before anything can happen.
Reply 5
As long as you have as a conditional offer you can apply. I know the info is correct cause I have called the telephone numbers and I have put all my application forms in, just need to send evidence x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jacksondee
Hi please see my thread that I posted 5/4/13. I will cut and paste here.<br />
<br />
PLEASE READ important info re nursing finance.<br />
Those who are applying for finance here goes .<br />
<br />
I have just spoke with SFE . All of us are only entitled to a maintenance loan from SFE this is because we get NHS bursary. (This is the same regardless of parent, living at home and financially situation). Living outside London entitlement would be 2324 if you don't currently live with parents. If you live with parents it based means tested( based on there financial situation). Because its a LOAN we all have to pay it back when we start earning 21k or more ( you earn just over 21 as nurse). We would pay back a maximum of £30 a month this includes RPI interest of 5% so really not very much. SFE tel number is 0845 300 5090<br />
<br />
<br />
She told me that the NHS something we don't pay back. It varies and is means tested ( based on finances of parents or husband or partner) ( if you have been financially independent of parents for 36 months you will be classed as individual) . (Also if you have dependants like kids). Dependant on what you are entitled to could include the - parents allowance. - dependants allowance - non income accessed award £1000. - extra weeks allowance . She gave me a helpline number for NHS bursary 03003301345, I called it and we can apply from now as they like the applications in up to 6 months before. We have to register and create a user I.d and password. We then get a ref number that starts with SBA and this is what the SFE will need (if you apply for SFE). There is no ref number that we receive in post. Our Uni will send notification to NHS bursary of us having a place on course. This will tie in with our application for NHS bursary.<br />
<br />
Lastly you don't have to apply for SFE but have to apply for NHS bursary as this is how our tuition fees are paid. Note we DO NOT pay back anything we get from NHS.<br />
<br />
Join us on Facebook<br />
https//www.facebook.com/groups/studentnurse<br />
<br />
Hope this helps. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, so does this mean we don't get a maintenance grant but the nhs bursary we don't have to pay back?
Reply 7
In a nutshell the SFE (student finance England ) is only a maintenance loan for us NHS students and has to be paid back. Its basically a reduced rate loan.

What we get through NHS finance we do no need to pay back. Depending on circumstances this includes maintenance grant, dependant allowance and parental learning allowance etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest