The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Does anyone know if I can repeat my GCSE Physics controlled assessment in year 12? I'm on Edexcel.
Reply 2721
Original post by kalios
Does anyone know if I can repeat my GCSE Physics controlled assessment in year 12? I'm on Edexcel.

Edexcel-er here too:wink:

As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't cash in your final grade, you can continue. However, you will have to do a different one, e.g on a diff topic/diff hypothesis. Also, charges will occur I think for the re-sit for a re-mark, etc

I'd get this checked but I'm quite sure this is what will happen!
Original post by elixirs
Edexcel-er here too:wink:

As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't cash in your final grade, you can continue. However, you will have to do a different one, e.g on a diff topic/diff hypothesis. Also, charges will occur I think for the re-sit for a re-mark, etc

I'd get this checked but I'm quite sure this is what will happen!

I think you have to resit one of the exams aswell.
Reply 2723
Original post by Red Fox
I think you have to resit one of the exams aswell.

Yup!
You're right. I guess it also justifies you carrying it onto Year 12 that way.
Original post by ResultInExcellence
Does anyone who's signed up for Edexcel Direct Results (online Edexcel results), know when the results will be published? I've heard that they're available at midnight despite what the website says yet I've also heard that it's in the morning around 6am. Does anyone who perhaps have siblings or any past experience know when they're available?

Usually at 6am. :smile:
Original post by Jatz07
It's like a subject you take but it's coursework based and you get graded on it... e.g. some people do btec business rather than gcse or something throughout the whole year:

For Btec:
Distinction* = A*
Distinction = A
Merit = B
Pass = C

Although it's not as respected and it's easier compared to gcse level, but it is the equivalent of a GCSE grade, so if you get a distinction that correlates to a GCSE A grade,

Jatz

For OCR Nationals Level 2 Double GCSE:
Distinction:A*A
Merit:AB
Pass:CC
For OCR Nationals Level 2 Single GCSE:
Distinction:A
Merit:B
Pass:C
Reply 2726
Original post by Red Fox
Reading exam I am quite confident about. Was getting high 30's on past papers and I think I have 35+. Listening was difficult in my opinion. In particular the questions about job interviews and the one about a camping trip or something. I'll be lucky to scrape 30 in that. I'm usually very accurate with my mark predictions.

Ah, cool. I'm expecting to lose max. 2 marks in Listening and probably full marks in the Reading.

Having Portuguese as a native language helps A LOT (probably had to put in a quarter of the effort others did), the only problem for me would be that I would have casually slipped into speaking Portuguese in the oral exam :colondollar:. The languages are so similar it can happen so easily.

Still not expecting any less than an A* though. Hopefully you'll get what your aiming for too.
Original post by elixirs
Okay firstly replying to a reply I sent a FEW DAYS AGO to SOMEONE ELSE... that's a little much, no?

Not illegal. But would warrant a disqualification... however it is hard to prove and it is a common thing amongst BTEC coursework, this cannot be denied especially by anyone who has done a BTEC in the past like myself.

The reason some may not respect BTEC is because of the lack of monitoring and the ease of cheating, finding a short cut to a quick qualification if you like.

Really? again that's easy to say at the end of the day:colone:

The coursework moderation is about the same for OCR Nationals,BTEC and GCSE both get a sample of students and check for things like plagiarism.It should theoretically be about as easy to cheat in both.
Reply 2728
Original post by Dalek1099
The coursework moderation is about the same for OCR Nationals,BTEC and GCSE both get a sample of students and check for things like plagiarism.It should theoretically be about as easy to cheat in both.

Yes, that is the GCSE coursework element not the rest of the GCSE examination.

Also, yes I know that some GCSEs are mainly coursework in themselves.

However, that is not the point I'm trying to state. My point is that GCSEs and BTECs are not compatible for you to make complete direct comparisons. Otherwise, they would not exist side by side.
Reply 2729
worried about physics. did the OCR gateway exam. wasn't myself during the exam at all. I seemed to completely shut down. the six mark questions were horrible (although annoyingly, all the answers seemed to come to me immediately after the exam). not sure about my coursework grade which makes it all the more worrying. the suspense is killing me!

I also regret doing graphics product design on the AQA board :frown:
Original post by Mário
Ah, cool. I'm expecting to lose max. 2 marks in Listening and probably full marks in the Reading.

Having Portuguese as a native language helps A LOT (probably had to put in a quarter of the effort others did), the only problem for me would be that I would have casually slipped into speaking Portuguese in the oral exam :colondollar:. The languages are so similar it can happen so easily.
Still not expecting any less than an A* though. Hopefully you'll get what your aiming for too.

Wanted an A* but I've already accepted I have an A but hopefully a pleasant surprise for me next Thursday.
Original post by dopeyboi
worried about physics. did the OCR gateway exam. wasn't myself during the exam at all. I seemed to completely shut down. the six mark questions were horrible (although annoyingly, all the answers seemed to come to me immediately after the exam). not sure about my coursework grade which makes it all the more worrying. the suspense is killing me!

I did that exam! Physics was the hardest imo :yep:
Original post by dopeyboi

I thought the biology 6 markers were awful.
Original post by Red Fox
I thought the biology 6 markers were awful.

What were they again
anyone going in on Thursday to get their additional maths results?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
anyone going in on Thursday to get their additional maths results?

:nah: my A2 Maths though!:eek: and History..
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I did that exam! Physics was the hardest imo :yep:

In order of descending difficulty I'd say Biology, Physics then Chemistry. Although my memory is a bit patchy:biggrin:.
:awesome: it's good fun :tongue:

Our school has a big awards ceremony, where you get a certificate for completing it. Then there are awards for getting highest in the year in each individual subject and then other prizes. :colondollar:
:nah: my A2 Maths though!:eek: and History..

ooooh, are you excited or nervous or both? :biggrin:
Original post by Jatz07
ok.. so who is doing an all nighter before Results? If so, what are you going to do//talk about?

:rolleyes:

I'm not doing it, I need beauty sleep

However, just out of curiosity who is? :biggrin:

Jatz

I'm going to get absolutely smashed with a few of my mates..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest