The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B14984
yes worth it but
it depends which subjects you are considering remarking, if maths and science etc.often remarks don't gain you any more marks as there is a right and wrong answer.
but if history english etc. then your mark is the examiner's opinion- a new examiner may put your grade up(or down) by a lot!
CONGRATULATIONS on amazing results!!!:smile:

English, French & RS.

Go for it?

French is speaking.

English is subjective.

Thank you btw mate, you too! <3

What are you currently doing?
R/S is also subjective.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rorybain
What are the grade boundaries for Aqa Geography for an A*? I currently have an A and I want to know how close I am to the grade boundary. thank you:smile: oh and I got 9 As 2 A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done mate.

They were ridiculous for paper 2. Like, really really high.

67/84 FOR A*

Needed a total UMS of 360/400.

Just managed to get my A by it's teeth, ahah.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GRADE-BDY-JUNE-2013.PDF
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Heytherehello
You can do pretty much any subject with a B in Eng Lang if that is the only subject you needed to get a particular grade in, so yes economics is a yes. Yes, further maths is extremely hard, unless you are very good at maths i wouldn't recommend doing it. Sorry, but that's the truth, if you aren't good at a subject don't risk it!

Sorry i meant with a c in english language, but i did get a b in history and literature.
Reply 8103
Original post by FuzzingSas
Hallo! I know i'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon but hey ho, here're my results anyways :smile:

Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Geography: A*
PRE: A*
Art: A
Maths: A
Economics: B
ICT: B
Italian: B

Economics is a bit of a shame cause i tried sooo hard (i can't seem to wrap my head around it) and still got a C in one of my modules :frown:
Oh well! Still SUPER chuffed, espesh since 7*'s was my goal, so YAY!
I really want to do English Lit at Oxford or Durham, and i know that GCSE grades aren't everything, but how do you guys think that i'd fare if i applied for these uni's (especially Oxford)?
Much appreciated :smile:

Just wondering did you do economics with OCR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay guys are these good enough for Cambridge? 1B,2A,7A* and 1A^?
BTW that's A* with distinction in further maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8105
Got my unit 1 science results yesterday was predicted 4A*and got them in my mocks and then sat the exam and ended up getting an overall UMS of 319 which was 1 UMS off an overall A. Do you think I should send my physics exam (79) to get remarked as it was 1 mark off an A and then that would bring it up to an overall A. Also i was told that my ISA was an A* and it ended up being an A - I dont think thats very fair. Lastly i calculated that i was literally a fraction off an A - something ridiculous like 0.00678 %. Is it worth a remark? Thanks a bunch
Reply 8106
Original post by rugbybeast

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah generally Oxbridge disregard GCSE'S and are not bothered as long as they are in the B - A* bracket - provided you have exceptional A level results. I know lots of people that have got in based purely on their grades but when they get to the interview they are unable to demonstrate their intelligence. Then again I know a few people who don't have the grades you'd expect for a Cambridge student but they aced their interview.
Still so happy, in my mock I got 3As 5bs 1c and 2Ds

Yesterday I got 3A*s 4As 4Bs!

I'm by no means a clever kid but if you work hard you can easily achieve good results'
Reply 8108
Hi I got 277 UMS in my OCR Latin GCSE which is a C. I was predicted an A* and got an A in my mock and so I'm very disappointed that I got a C. Does anyone think that the exam board could have made a mistake or did I mess it up really badly in the exam? I got all As and A*s in my gcses so the C came as a shock. What should I do?
Reply 8109
Very happy I got 9 A*s and an A! :')
And, yes for anyone asking, if you have an average of an A, with a few A*s, Oxbridge will consider you.

However, you need to understand that AS & A2's surpass GCSE's in every instance, so don't rely on them that much.
Original post by MisterOrange
And, yes for anyone asking, if you have an average of an A, with a few A*s, Oxbridge will consider you.

However, you need to understand that AS & A2's surpass GCSE's in every instance, so don't rely on them that much.

So say if you get only a mere 1.5 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs (I know kinda pathetic in Oxbridge terms). Would I still get into Oxford with these grades if I got 3 A*s at Alevel? Thank you :smile:
Reply 8112
There is a difference between getting in and getting accepted for an interview or in some cases an entry exam must be sat in the field you're interested in. Although to answer your question, you do stand a chance of an interview at Cam/Oxf.
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.
I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!

Decent enough results to go to Oxford (minimum 7*s) - two English results are a slight stain however and you should resit as English is very highly respected by all unis.
Original post by rugbybeast

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fine. Cambridge look at AS UMS a lot.

Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!

They're fine. I'm not convinced the resits are needed - courses that require higher than a B in English are pretty few and far between, and the overall profile of 8A* is good enough for virtually any course.
Are my GCSE results good enough to get into a decent middle ground/premium university to do either film producction or history?

History: A
Art: A
ICT: B (might remark because 5 UMS of an A)
English Lit: B
English Lang: C
Core Science: C
Additional Applied Science: C (Might retake in June 2014)
Drama: D (Appealing)
Maths: D (resiting in November)
Hiya everyone!! I'm in desperate need of advice!!! I did German aqa gcse and got an a! I'm so pleased b when I looked at the % I saw I got 89.7%! Is it true that to get an a* I need 90% and if it is true do you think is should get the paper remarked?
Also for english language aqa gcse I got a b! I'm also quite pleased but again when I looked at the % I got 79% and am I right in saying that 80% is an a and if it is do you think I should get it remarked? Thanks so much!!!!!
Pleased *but
Guys please reply to this ASAP because I need to hand in my options for A levels in 2 hours!
I'm planning on doing Maths, Chemistry and biology definitely, but I'm not sure about the 4th subject. I would have liked to go with ICT since it's considered the easiest A level at the moment (or one of the easiest...I'm not sure) and because I've done it in GCSE so I know what I'm getting myself into. However, I've heard that ICT is not exactly a 'respected' A level and that you do not need ICT a level to do a computing course. So I thought about picking economics which looks quite difficult because of all the graphs and the terminology, but the 100% examination about this subject seems appealing. Also, the coursework for ICT is a real pain in the *** because it will take up a lot of time which I'm not really willing to do as I would like to spend this time for my other subjects. And there's also the combination of maths and ICT or maths and economics which I'm worried about. Which combination would let me do better and more courses in university?
Please reply to this quickly...IT'S GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!!!!
Original post by Mr.Chowder
Guys please reply to this ASAP because I need to hand in my options for A levels in 2 hours!
I'm planning on doing Maths, Chemistry and biology definitely, but I'm not sure about the 4th subject. I would have liked to go with ICT since it's considered the easiest A level at the moment (or one of the easiest...I'm not sure) and because I've done it in GCSE so I know what I'm getting myself into. However, I've heard that ICT is not exactly a 'respected' A level and that you do not need ICT a level to do a computing course. So I thought about picking economics which looks quite difficult because of all the graphs and the terminology, but the 100% examination about this subject seems appealing. Also, the coursework for ICT is a real pain in the *** because it will take up a lot of time which I'm not really willing to do as I would like to spend this time for my other subjects. And there's also the combination of maths and ICT or maths and economics which I'm worried about. Which combination would let me do better and more courses in university?
Please reply to this quickly...IT'S GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!!!!

do you know what you to do at uni? i would personally do economics over ict because ict is a pain and economics is respected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest