The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ani97
Language- 180/200
Literature - 180/200

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You! :smile:

I was only 2 UMS off in Eng Lang and 3 UMS in Eng Lit. Should I go for a re-mark?
I was two marks off an A overall for English Language. Is it worth it to get a remark?
I am thinking of possibly doing it in a level so a better grade would help

Also, if anyone has info on AQA remarking or any links, I would appreciate it if you could send them to me:smile:
Original post by sophie238
Same with me tbh, so we're not completely different to a lot of TSR :rolleyes:

Which one are you leaning towards the most?

Oxford, you?
Original post by Ani97
Your GCSEs are perfect as they are! You have nothing to worry about if you want to apply to Cardiff! If that is your dream uni, go for it as long as you do well at AS as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank-you very much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everybody keep saying there is a big jump from GCSE to A-level, but i don't understand this jump fully- could somebody explain this to me please, and be a little more relative so that i understand this jump more specifically.Thanks.
Reply 8465
Original post by BenAssirati
I am hoping for St John's, Oxford, but since my GCSEs were lower than average for Oxford, most likely Durham or Warwick :P

Don't be put off if your grade are lower than average, you may stand a better chance than you think :smile:.
Original post by Its Andy
Oxford, you?

Me too actually!
Im really confused about how the coursework marking goes!So when the teachers send a sample of the coursework to the exam board,if they found out that it's been under/over marked will the exam board then mark everyone's coursework in my school?I heard that if the sample's been marked harshly then everyone's marks in school gets automatically risen and vice-versa!
Original post by ghost_rebel
Im really confused about how the coursework marking goes!So when the teachers send a sample of the coursework to the exam board,if they found out that it's been under/over marked will the exam board then mark everyone's coursework in my school?I heard that if the sample's been marked harshly then everyone's marks in school gets automatically risen and vice-versa!

Yeah that's how it goes. They take a sample of the coursework marked by the teacher and the exam board mark it and see how similar they get it. If your teacher has marked it too harshly then everybody's results will be increased, but if your teacher has marked too nicely then everyone's results will go down.
You don't need to worry though, I'm sure that if the results have changed it's not by much ^^
So, in my English exam we had two sections of coursework and two exams. In the coursework I got an A in each, and in one exam I got an A, the other I got a D. Overall I got a B in my English language with 4 marks off an A. I'm not that bothered by getting a B (because I expected to get Bs in my coursework and exams in English) but the fact that I got a D in the one exam really confuses me. It's only one mark off a C, and if the exam got increased by 4 marks my overall grade would change to an A.
I just don't like that I got a D in the exam, since I took it straight after/before (I don't know which exam it was) the other and I didn't find one particularly higher than the other.
We're thinking about getting a remark but it seems like such a confusing process, do you think we should go for it anyway, since it's English which can change?
Me too actually!

Any particular college?
I want to go to Oriel! I went on a school trip to Oxford University in Year 10 and Oriel was the college I toured around, I later noticed that my local MP went to the same college.
I've now managed to get an RAF scholarship at Welbeck sixth form college (www.DSFC.ac.uk) and a new Principal starts this September the same time as me. The new Principal also went to Oriel College. I've looked at what subjects you can study at Oriel College, and both Engineering Science Computer Science are available to study, both the degrees I am most interested in. :smile:
I would love to go to Oxbridge, but I know a lot of people think that at my age so I'm just going to see how next year goes :smile:

I'm just so happy that I got full UMS in english - it's my favourite subject and what I want to do as a career, so it's reaffirmed my goals :biggrin:
Reply 8472
Hey guys does anyone know how long the results of a remark will come through? And when do we get our formal gcse certificates?

Just curious, thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Its Andy
Any particular college?
I want to go to Oriel! I went on a school trip to Oxford University in Year 10 and Oriel was the college I toured around, I later noticed that my local MP went to the same college.
I've now managed to get an RAF scholarship at Welbeck sixth form college (www.DSFC.ac.uk) and a new Principal starts this September the same time as me. The new Principal also went to Oriel College. I've looked at what subjects you can study at Oriel College, and both Engineering Science Computer Science are available to study, both the degrees I am most interested in. :smile:

Wow, well done! I haven't made up my mind yet, but I really like New and Hertford. However the more I try to decide, the more I change my mind completely! Oriel seems like an amazing college, it's in my top three actually, and apparently a lot of people in Oxford say that if they weren't at their own college, they would have liked to have gone to Oriel. All the other colleges look great too though.

I've never actually been to Oxford, only Cambridge (to Churchill College on a school trip), but after looking into it Oxford actually appeals to me more. :smile:
i got a B overall in english literature in january results and was 1 UMS mark away from an A and was wondering if i can still send for a remark???
I know! It seems like 90% of TSR want to do medicine!
I want to apply for Law:tongue:

I think it's because when you type in google questions related to medicine (e.g. GCSE entry requirement for medicine) often the top results are from TSR. People then go onto TSR, read a medicine thread and then want to ask a question of their own. Therefore they end up creating an account. Before they no it they are hooked and have become a recognised TSR member.

(This is just my guess... But it is how I discovered TSR!!) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8476
Maybe slightly unrelated, but i have a question (may seems obvious to some, however i am just wondering): When you apply to universities, do they see which school you did your GCSEs at, even if you changed schools for your A-levels? So if I went to school A for my GCSEs, but then went to school B for sixth form would they just see that I am currently at school B or would they see that I changed?

I ask this because at my school, my GCSE grades were something like third highest in the year, however the sixth form at which I will be attending many students gained 11+ A*'s at GCSE, so my results would not look as good when placed in the context of this school.
Original post by pje1000
Maybe slightly unrelated, but i have a question (may seems obvious to some, however i am just wondering): When you apply to universities, do they see which school you did your GCSEs at, even if you changed schools for your A-levels? So if I went to school A for my GCSEs, but then went to school B for sixth form would they just see that I am currently at school B or would they see that I changed?

I ask this because at my school, my GCSE grades were something like third highest in the year, however the sixth form at which I will be attending many students gained 11+ A*'s at GCSE, so my results would not look as good when placed in the context of this school.

Yes you have to specify your school on UCAS.
Hey i need help, so far im taking maths mechanics, further maths and physics. But i don't know what to do for my fourth subject. It's either applied business or psychology. I want to do applied business as it is fully course work which may help take the pressure off, however i do not know if uni's do not like this subject. PLEASE REPLY
Original post by zzFishstick
Sucks how some schools do different exam boards that are considered to be 'easier' than other exam boards - so the students end up with higher grades. Such as AQA being the best exam board for science but then you get people who take the OCR exams for science and get better grades because its easier. Not to mention these iGCSEs that some of you took.

iGCSE's are 10x harder! iGCSE is almost AS standard, that's why they're worth more UCAS points. One of the reasons they have high pass rates is because mostly, private schools take them and they grade boundaries don't change like regular GCSEs. For example, in regular GCSE if 95% of people got 58/60 they would have to make sure that not all those people got A*s whereas in iGCSE if you get a good mark, you will always get the grade correlated with that mark, it is most definitely NOT easier. That's so silly that you think they're easier, they're much, much harder. Also, AQA is the easiest exam board. After edexcel, OCR is the hardest. Your judgement is wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest