The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8560
Original post by FuzzingSas
OMG same! I even earned the award for the best girl in our year at Economics (before results) the bam, for everyone who earned an A* it was 'so unexpected!' then there's me in the corner, scowling at their success :unimpressed:
I would get it remarked, but i don't think there's any point. I got two A's, but in Unit 1 i got a C! Several UMS below an A. Still, it's an improvement from my previous grade (unit 1 was a retake) which was a D...
I don't know, my teacher said it's because i wrote at a A-Level level, which i'm inclined to believe, because i revised so much, but really i think it's because i find it hard to wrap my head around essays that aren't English, i tend to ramble, making it less concise...
Stupid economics.

I think I might get one of my units remarked because I was 1 UMS away from an A overall.
I know what you mean with the essay writing thing as well, especially Economics because it's so easy to just keep repeating the same point but phrasing it differently so sometimes I don't even realise I've repeated myself. Eugh, I hate OCR :frown:
Reply 8561
Original post by TheFlowersInMay
Sorry if someone's already posted this, but I'm not reading through the whole of this thread. - What would this 069b mean? It was on my results slip and I haven't a clue what it means. If someone could enlighten me...?

It means you got 69 UMS marks and a grade B on that paper :smile:
Original post by Miss1997
It means you got 69 UMS marks and a grade B on that paper :smile:

Okay, thank you. :smile:
I keep seeing the 40% assessment rule on various exam board websites and how your exams need to satisfy this rule, could someone please explain it to me? And also, If I sat two exam papers and get my cash-in results in summer 2014 and the grade happens to be lower than my previous cash-in grade which I received this year will the exam board allow me to choose my higher grade or will it no longer be valid?
anyone know edexcel password and username
plss let me know it if u know it
thanks
Anyone think I should get a remark in French being 2 UMS marks from an A grade?
Original post by Green Bubblegum
its negotiable but its 10-14 pounds per hour

Okay thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maths_geek

Well, do you think you would be interested? :smile:
Reply 8568
Are my gcse results good enough to even think about applying for medicine at oxford? I got 9 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's and i will be doing maths, chem, bio and physics for my A levels
Original post by MisterOrange
For Cambridge, definitely.

You need to demonstrate that at AS though.

That you are a god like academic who shreds every damn question on a paper set to him.

Cambridge SCRUTINIZE AS results. Couple this with the correct Personal Statement, and bam. You're 80% sure of an interview.

It's about faith more than anything though.

I don't know who negged me, but I couldn't care less. If you're an underdog, have faith. Don't be put off by some TSR users, after all, it's the internet.

No one negged you, don't worry :smile: And thank you so very very much! I really appreciate that you've taken the time to answer this question. And you've given me this hope, that I can do it! Thanks! What did you get if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin: You made me happy after a long time.
Reply 8570
Original post by PARM1
Are my gcse results good enough to even think about applying for medicine at oxford? I got 9 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's and i will be doing maths, chem, bio and physics for my A levels

YES ...I know someone with 9A*S that has a place for med at Cambridge...but you need to work hard for AS and A-levels it more to do with UMS marks ....(I think)
oh and also because it is medicine think about if you REALLY want to go to Oxbridge...other universities can be just as credible and maybe even more suited to you...do your research don't jump straight in.. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Meliss
How do you get 1.5A*?! :eek:

I could've done better with Maths, ended up with an A and it was kinda close to an A* :frown: Same for English Lit, was 6 marks off an A! Got a C in the poetry paper though, that really brought down all my marks. Had a feeling that I had done badly though, so it's alright. B is still a respectable grade! :biggrin:

I was really, really happy with French and Geography. Especially Geography.
Was predicted C for French (did IGCSE and it's pretty hard D: ) and ended up with A!
As for Geography, I was on my way towards a U, and I figured the best mark I could get would probably be an E, or a D. Ended up with a B and even all my teachers were shocked! Somehow, one of my resits went from a C to an A* AND I got 100% in my controlled assessment. How? I do not know, considering I didn't even finish it :laugh:

But yes, overall, I am super duperly overjoyed! :smile: And it seems as if everyone else here has got brilliant grades, so well done to everyone else!

Oh RE was a half GCSE. I'm only two marks of an A in Maths so getting it remarked, and got an A in Lit (just about), and Bio I'm like 8 or seven marks away from an A :frown: and aw that's good! WOW 100 % is awesome :biggrin: Well, I', kind of disappointed but oh wells. And well done :biggrin: so what now?
Original post by theJdog
No one negged you, don't worry :smile: And thank you so very very much! I really appreciate that you've taken the time to answer this question. And you've given me this hope, that I can do it! Thanks! What did you get if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin: You made me happy after a long time.

Of course, it's no biggie, have faith. I predicted myself the same grades as you. So I can understand the skepticism you have.

I achieved 4 A*s, 5 As.(Possibly getting 3 subs remarked) Not the best imo(not on this site anyway lmfao), but it will get your foot in the door. With your case, I thought I was in it and so I spent hours researching and emailing Unis. Cambridge will definitely consider you, provides you ace BMAT, have a good PS with all rounded extra curric, work exp and AAAA at around 90% ums.

PM if you need any advice, i'm here to help a fellow underdog haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 6A*s, 4A's and a B in English Lang. All my friends got straight As and A*s, and I'm 2 raw marks off an A. I got low A's in both CAs and end of year paper, but a high C in the speaking and listening from my very harsh teacher! It wasn't recorded and the overall total of my results ended up at being a C. What shall I do? It's AQA, would it be possible to remark the speaking and listening, because it's already done, or even retake it, what else could I do? I have ages until school starts and no teachers are replying to my emails...

help!
Original post by TopOfParadise
I got 6A*s, 4A's and a B in English Lang. All my friends got straight As and A*s, and I'm 2 raw marks off an A. I got low A's in both CAs and end of year paper, but a high C in the speaking and listening from my very harsh teacher! It wasn't recorded and the overall total of my results ended up at being a C. What shall I do? It's AQA, would it be possible to remark the speaking and listening, because it's already done, or even retake it, what else could I do? I have ages until school starts and no teachers are replying to my emails...

help!

Firstly you did well. Better than me. So don't fret.

AQA can't remark S&L units. There's a terminal rule now. Your best bet would be to resit the lang paper in November or to get a remark. Honestly though, with 6 A*s, 4 As, you dont need to.
Original post by MisterOrange
Firstly you did well. Better than me. So don't fret.

AQA can't remark S&L units. There's a terminal rule now. Your best bet would be to resit the lang paper in November or to get a remark. Honestly though, with 6 A*s, 4 As, you dont need to.

Oh :frown: where would I get the S&L remarked? Or did you mean the other ones? And thanks!
Original post by TopOfParadise
Oh :frown: where would I get the S&L remarked? Or did you mean the other ones? And thanks!

I meant the written units. Get them remarked or resit in Nov. Resit, you're guaranteed an A. Remark and you also have a shot. GL
Original post by SelinaUchiha
You can do another AS in the 2nd year? I had no idea! I never did GCSE Economics. I'm guessing you liked it which is why you're carrying on. (:

yeah u can!! at least my sixth form lets you..you can do either critical thinking or general studies AS in year 12 (apart from if you're doing further maths) and then instead of carrying on GS or CT to A2 u can do the EPQ....yeah not that many people do it at GCSE but i totally recommend it!! it really was great, i would never regret choosing it as my GCSE option..hopefully ill be able to say the same for A-level!!!:smile::smile:
Original post by sweet_gyal97
yeah u can!! at least my sixth form lets you..you can do either critical thinking or general studies AS in year 12 (apart from if you're doing further maths) and then instead of carrying on GS or CT to A2 u can do the EPQ....yeah not that many people do it at GCSE but i totally recommend it!! it really was great, i would never regret choosing it as my GCSE option..hopefully ill be able to say the same for A-level!!!:smile::smile:

Why the hell are we made to do GS? It annoys me. I'd much rather take a 5th AS. Ugh. It's not even recognized by Unis. What will be the repercusions of getting AAAA in your subs and a D in GS?

Honestly, high UMS As are my priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somebody, what are the chances of my sports exam getting remarked up 6 ums and my business paper moving up 2 ums? is it worth remarking???

Latest