The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was on holiday to Egypt so I didn't get my results; I came home last night and when I opened them I went straight to my room and cried. Although I passed all but one subject I was extremely distraught and shocked by my B in History and C's in English and English Lit, although taking higher and expecting grades of that an A! I felt incredibly dumb and felt my life was over, obviously I've slept on it, and I've rationalised that even with these 'results' I could possibly still do what I wanted to do in sixth form which is philosophy, English lit, History and Sociology, all I need is a C in maths, B in both English and English lit, and a B in History which I have (according to my results) I was terribly shocked that in my best subjects I had been expecting A's at least in History and English yet I was distraught at B's and C's, I still am to a point! I also failed one subject with a D in drama, but with a quick glance at forums on here, I've heard that drama results occasionally **** up and I haven't heard of my fellow students results either so ill check that out. But when I got my results they confused the **** out of me all these pieces of paper regarding work in year 9 concerning food tech I mean, what the **** has that to do with my gcses? And the 'results' were hard to read, and for my unit exam marks they missed out my grades in history (which I know I had an A* in my controlled and in another unit I had an A) but then there was a letter saying something about they are provisional results being generated by the school? Oh, but if these are apparent to be my results then I'm sure I could still do the subjects I wanted all I don't have is a B in my English subjects, but concerning that, I have at least a B in one of the exam units for each English exam taken and really I should have a B in English language but my teacher only allowed us to do our coursework at a C level, so that may of pushed me down? But if that is the case and I explain that, then perhaps the school will still let me take the subjects I want? I'm a good student and I'm always in school, hardworking, and I'm just missing a B in english for three a levels I want but for English lit I have a C? But a B in one of the exams I took for it? I don't know, I mean as well the national pass rate has fallen also so that may be taken in to account...I'm just gutted that these so called results are not what I wanted! I mean a D in drama? I thought I was able!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8761
Original post by yahya10123
i got a B overall in english literature in january results and was 1 UMS mark away from an A and was wondering if i can still send for a remark???

If you don't mind me asking, what was your UMS? Because I got 190 which is also a B, I just wondered what it's out of and what is needed for an A? Cheers :smile:
I got a* in unit 1 and unit 3 but a b in unit 2. I thought unit 2 went a lot better than unit 1 and i didn't expect to get a b especially since the grade boundaries were lower in in unit 2. I need 10 raw marks for an a* in unit 2, should i remark the paper?
Reply 8763
Does anyone know how fast you find out about your marks if you go for a remark?
Hey guys I am confused about my results! Everybody even the school magazine said I got 6A* & 2A but my result says otherwise. Plus I have no idea how I got a D in Science A since I got As across all 3 paper : biology 1, chemistry 1 & physics 1 in January's exam. Pls help me. Here is an attached copy of my results.
Original post by acecahill39
Hey guys I am confused about my results! Everybody even the school magazine said I got 6A* & 2A but my result says otherwise. Plus I have no idea how I got a D in Science A since I got As across all 3 paper : biology 1, chemistry 1 & physics 1 in January's exam. Pls help me. Here is an attached copy of my results.

You got 1A*, 4As, a B and a D. Plus an M (I am guessing a merit, did you do a BTEC?) and an X, which just seems ominous to me o.O If you are confused, ask the school to run you through how they came up with 6A*s, 2As, and it should walk you through your results :smile:
Hey, i got 2A*, 5A and 2B but i'm getting some remarked (1 UMS away from an A* in Latin grrrr) is that good? Because i genuinely feel like i did quite badly.. :frown:
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Hmm, and if it goes down, although the exam officer at my school said so far they've all stayed the same :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which exam board?
Original post by Lucy96
Sorry to randomly interrupt, but it is indeed 180 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it is worth getting my low one remarked? Because i think i did better in it than the result i got
Is a Grade B bad for chemistry? I want to do that for a levels as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8770
Original post by Arunthathy
Is a Grade B bad for chemistry? I want to do that for a levels as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends, if you are going to work hard then go for it! If you feel GCSE was very hard and depending on what your strengths/weaknesses you may have to invest a lot of time in A level and this takes the focus off other subjects. Personally, I was going to take it but decided against it (in favour of physics :colondollar: )
Original post by Heytherehello
Do you think it is worth getting my low one remarked? Because i think i did better in it than the result i got

Honestly, it's really up to you! I got the same mark as you but in english literature and if I had had the money, I probably would have got a remark as I too felt I did a lot better than my result. If you think it'll benefit you then go for it, but an A is great and won't hinder you in any way :smile: If potentially losing the money doesn't bother you then it's worth a shot!
Original post by Heytherehello
Which exam board?

WJEC

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my classical civilisation paper:
A352/H,etc the website doesn't say the overall grade boundaries (J280)

Anybody know how I can find this?

*Urgent

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was to resit a Maths paper in college, and to get a B instead of the original C will my certificate be given again but this time updated ?
Reply 8775
Original post by Midnight1811
If I was to resit a Maths paper in college, and to get a B instead of the original C will my certificate be given again but this time updated ?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I failed my English GCSE (I got a D, cause it was WJEC), I have to retake my English in my new sixth form sch,but its not gonna be a GCSE, I found out I'm actually gonna do igcse English, looking at this now Im now wondering what's the whole point of doin this again? I mean in sec sch, I've been trying to work my ass of so that I could do the higher tier instead of the foundation tier, then I had the chance, but then I fck up real bad(I think that was because I was too slow,I'm the sort of person who likes to write in PROPER DETAIL, but its hard to get it all down in a short amount of time:frown: ) and I was forced to do the foundation in the final exam.
( the second reason might be because of my communication skills, in sixth form, there's loads of students in the centre it seems like everyone knows each other, I don't really talk and I just keep to myself,most of the day everyone's havering lunch with each other, I just sit there by myself just looking around.)

I really don't won't to do the igcse since its deemed "easier" than gcse,thats proberbly why find other stundents with like a B or an A in igcse English, dammit, I'd rather do a subject that pays off when I put in he hard work than have it easy.
Original post by TheDboyAi
Since I failed my English GCSE (I got a D, cause it was WJEC), I have to retake my English in my new sixth form sch,but its not gonna be a GCSE, I found out I'm actually gonna do igcse English, looking at this now Im now wondering what's the whole point of doin this again? I mean in sec sch, I've been trying to work my ass of so that I could do the higher tier instead of the foundation tier, then I had the chance, but then I fck up real bad(I think that was because I was too slow,I'm the sort of person who likes to write in PROPER DETAIL, but its hard to get it all down in a short amount of time:frown: ) and I was forced to do the foundation in the final exam.
( the second reason might be because of my communication skills, in sixth form, there's loads of students in the centre it seems like everyone knows each other, I don't really talk and I just keep to myself,most of the day everyone's havering lunch with each other, I just sit there by myself just looking around.)

I really don't won't to do the igcse since its deemed "easier" than gcse,thats proberbly why find other stundents with like a B or an A in igcse English, dammit, I'd rather do a subject that pays off when I put in he hard work than have it easy.

Really? I thought the general consensus was that iGCSE was harder due to lack of coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure where you heard that IGCSE was easier, but it's not. Pretty sure they're seen as harder tbh, there's just no coursework but the exams are harder I think.

IGCSE is MUCH HARDER.
You learn a lot of A level topics at IGCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest