The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popnit
00:01 on Thurs 15th Aug. I think.

Cheers, I had a feeling this was the case :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ndella
My teacher explained that most of the time they send off an exemplar coursework and a below average coursework from the school to the examiner just to check that the teachers have marked it properly, but i think what you are asking is more likely to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think it's likely it could change when the examiner marks it? Fingers crossed it goes a little higher!:redface:
Original post by JamesTheCool
Yes, because their parents' parents inherited enough money to send their kids to a superior school, the cycle goes on and harks back to hundreds of years in some cases. I'm aware of the term new-money as well. I'm aware it's not always as black and white as this, but in lots of cases it does seem to be...

Most people don't have inherited wealth. This refers to a very small sector of about 1% of the population.
Original post by PythianLegume
But this difference exists even for children at the same school.

I agree that wealth can contribute by allowing you to buy housing in areas with better schools (although most schools are measured by their outcomes, which is a crude measure. I suspect many 'good' schools actually have equal or worse value-added than some schools in poor areas). I just don't think that wealth is one of the most significant factors in intelligence, compared to parental input, and even genes.

I'm not talking about intelligence. I already agreed with you about intelligence. I'm talking about academic success pre-Uni (A Levels, GCSE).
Yes, FSM = Free School Meals.

Do I know? :tongue:

:ahee:

Yes, you went all nitpicky and intelligent.

"What do you define...."
"I don't define...."

:tongue: you knew what I meant!

It's funny, how after I typed my response I knew what your response would be!
Reply 3905
Hey! I know grade boundaries are released on wednesday but does anyone know what time they are released? Like at midnight or something?
Original post by anyap
I seriously can't believe someone has a problem with private education and someone having meow opportunities than others. It's democracy not communism! What you complain about (not similar opportunities) was the same complaint in USSR and other communist parties. And communism would never work! When people earn money as wish to spend th on their children to educate them better - no one should stop them! It's perfectly fine to do it!

Well said. Also, some people fail to realise that a lot of cases in state schools involve families being able to afford private education financially, just don't choose it for personal reasons or prefer to spend the money on other things. Each to their own. For example, my dad worked his bum off to send me to private school, and I barely ever got an allowance and I lived in flats and small town houses and had to save up whatever money I did get to buy things for myself from a young age. My family friend/best friend went to the local state, lived in a 6 bed house, got a big allowance each week, plus got clothes money extra whenever she asked, got a car bought for her. I really reckon her family could have afforded private education, they obviously just chose not to. I could have had everything she had if my dad had sent me to state, but I'm glad he did it, because I was able to concentrate well and have the attention and push from teachers I needed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nataash
Hey! I know grade boundaries are released on wednesday but does anyone know what time they are released? Like at midnight or something?

I wouldn't bother with them. They'll just make you feel ill or something...
Original post by Qwertish
I'm not talking about intelligence. I already agreed with you about intelligence. I'm talking about academic success pre-Uni (A Levels, GCSE).

I suppose we'll never really know, given it's so hard to separate wealth from all it's associated factors. But certainly at the top end (private schools, tutors), I could definitely see wealth affecting academic success.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:ahee:

Yes, you went all nitpicky and intelligent.

"What do you define...."
"I don't define...."

:tongue: you knew what I meant!

It's funny, how after I typed my response I knew what your response would be!

I wasn't trying to be nitpicky. But it's a correlation - as wealth increases, so does intelligence and academic success. It doesn't really matter how you define rich and poor - if one group is richer than the other, it will be more intelligent (so long as you have a large enough and representative sample).
I wasn't trying to be nitpicky. But it's a correlation - as wealth increases, so does intelligence and academic success. It doesn't really matter how you define rich and poor - if one group is richer than the other, it will be more intelligent (so long as you have a large enough and representative sample).

I meant with the actual definition of rich, not the correlation.
Reply 3911
Original post by Tom_green_day
Oh wow those sound cool! Only 3 days? Eek, I never keep track of time in the holidays, that's not enough time to harden the soul against the bad results :L

Haha same, I lose track of what day of the week it is! I'll probably be a nervous wreck by wednesday though :/
I meant with the actual definition of rich, not the correlation.

Like I said - it doesn't matter how you are to define rich or poor.
Reply 3913
[QUOTE="Divergent;43881674"]
Original post by popnit

My friend who does Computer Science there said someone who lives with him got in there through clearing last year as there are always places for pharmacy.

Plus if you go to UCAS course search for pharmacy, click on 2013 and courses avaliable to new applicants, you can see Hudds is still on there.
& the uni's on the "avaliable to new applicants" are all the ones that have either said they will be in clearing (like uea) or are usually there anyway (like ljmu). Plus the most competitive uni's for pharmacy (notts, bath, UCL, durham) aren't on the list and I know for fact they aren't going to be in clearing x

I was told by my teacher that whenn i get results to call the university, coz sometimes they dont go into clearing but still have places. I am going to try Durham as i liked it but was scared to pick it, but think it is at least worth a go. If not (and i get grades) i will go to UEA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3915

I'm sceptical of this idea of potential - surely much of our potential is a result of our parenting? Parent's who are pushy will instill positive attitudes to their children, and make them work hard. They might do worse without a guiding hand, but arguably they would still be performing better than if they hadn't been pushed in the first place. So say we measure intelligence on a crude scale of 1-10. A child is at 5, pushed to 9, and falls back at uni to a 7. Their pushy parents have still pushed them up from 5 to 7.

Like I've said before - I don't think pushy parenting is the best method, but I do think it that pushy parents tend to have above-average children.

I don't think your example or last para contradict with the point I'm making that performance may drop at univ. Based on which James was arguing that these were stupid kids who were pushed. I feel they were just kid who were pushed to perform at their potential 9 but dropped back below their full potential to 7. The 5 which is all they would have achieved if they had not been pushed to not refute my argument.

Well it did, I didn't want the relative poverty, just what poor was so I could see if I was poor.

I'll be receiving EMA so I'll say I'm poor :lol:
Reply 3917
I'll take your word for the evidence, what do you define as "poor" btw?

I always get slightly annoyed when people say rich = more intelligent because I'm probably "poor" :rofl:

Chill. You must be no ARE the exception that proves the rule.:cool:
Original post by Padouken
I held my nose when reading this, peasant.

booo :tongue:

(btw I didn't neg, I can take a joke!)
Original post by HPAG
I don't think your example or last para contradict with the point I'm making that performance may drop at univ. Based on which James was arguing that these were stupid kids who were pushed. I feel they were just kid who were pushed to perform at their potential 9 but dropped back below their full potential to 7. The 5 which is all they would have achieved if they had not been pushed to not refute my argument.

True, I suppose they would still get into a better university than they maybe deserve.

Pushy parenting isn't terribly common anyway. I think it's far more common among the (not wealthy) immigrant community than the white middle classes.

Latest