Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How old, is 'too old' to become a dad lol? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...nt-oldestdads/

how old do you think its a bit late to father a child...
    E.g- if u become a dad at 60 when the child is 10 you'll be 70....

Would you be able to do stuff with them a 30-40 yr old could like play football with them etc and would you be healthy enough to raise a child
    and when your child is in uni etc..you'll be like 80....(you get the idea...)

what age do you think its too late/do you think its never too late?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're ever too old to be a dad, but that is largely do to the relatively small part fathers are allowed to play in their child's life. If a woman chose to become a mother at seventy-two (However that would happen), she would be scolded for her poor decision; "A mother having a child at such an age, she won't even be there to see her kid reach 20!" However, for a dad, that's acceptable, somehow, because dads aren't seen as so important.

That being said, age does not impede a parents ability that much. On the contrary, there are many advantages to having old parents. My father was in his fifties when I was born, and I always enjoyed it. He had a stable economy, while all the other kid's parents would be struggling to put their lives together, he was very calm and rooted, old and wise, and he doted upon me and my brother, because his age had softened him up, I believe. Hell, when we did a presentation on the Second World War in school, my father could tell me first hand stories! Pretty neat.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Too young = under 23
    Too old = over 53

IMO, of course. IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I would say 20-30 is appropriate age to be a dad and 50+ too old.

ReputationRep:
    I think anywhere between 20-45 is a good age, in my personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I became a dad at 20..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    I would say 20-30 is appropriate age to be a dad and 50+ too old.
    (Original post by carlaraptor)
    I think anywhere between 20-45 is a good age, in my personal opinion.
    What then are the advantages of being a younger father, and at what point does the loss of these "good dad"-criteria tip over and make the dad "too old"?

I don't have any experience of it, naturally, since most people are equipped with only one biological father (though step-fathers may well enter into this discussion, actually), but I must say the thought of a dad only 20 years older than me frightens me. Like going out to a bar when you're fifteen... and there's your dad in a corner, flirting with a lady ten years between you and him.. Or going to college at 20, and having your forty-year old dad trying to figure out what to do with his life.. But then again, maybe people mature faster when a kid enters the picture. Maybe they act differently than people their own age who aren't parents. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    just to say my dad is 68, i'm 16 and while he didn't do a lot that younger dad's could he still did stuff with me, he is very active and healthy, goes to the gym, walks the dog, it's a case of you are only as old as you feel i guess I think you can be a dad at any age above the teens. Being a teenage dad isn't good simply cause you can't support your child, my opinion obviously

ReputationRep:
    I am 22, the only person out of my friends who doesn't have a kid. My baby sister even has a kid. My mam had me at 19 and my sister at 33. She said it was better with me cause she had so much energie we were never in the house, I had a great childhood. I am constantly being nagged to hurry up and have a kid as i'm the only one left, it doesn't seem to be this way in other parts of the country. I can't stand it.

My dad has just announced he's having another bloody kid. I am 22, one sis is 19 the other is 11. (dad's kids, mum's other one is 10) All with different women. This new baby is with the same mother of 11 year old though so happy days.

I wouldn't like a child later than 40

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like the idea of people conceiving babies at aged 40+. Not very nice for your parents to get old when you're only in your 20s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garthfunkel)
    What then are the advantages of being a younger father, and at what point does the loss of these "good dad"-criteria tip over and make the dad "too old"?

I don't have any experience of it, naturally, since most people are equipped with only one biological father (though step-fathers may well enter into this discussion, actually), but I must say the thought of a dad only 20 years older than me frightens me. Like going out to a bar when you're fifteen... and there's your dad in a corner, flirting with a lady ten years between you and him.. Or going to college at 20, and having your forty-year old dad trying to figure out what to do with his life.. But then again, maybe people mature faster when a kid enters the picture. Maybe they act differently than people their own age who aren't parents. Any thoughts?
    Well, personally I'd say older than 20 would usually be ideal but then, everyone is ready and mature for these things at different ages, aren't they?

I don't think I'd want a baby until I'm about 30 or so, and that'd make my boyfriend 40. Whereas I'm sure there's lots of younger guys, in their early 20s, who are quite happy being dads at that age. Just depends on the person. I think once you get past 45, there's just the practical issue of when the kid is 25, you'll be 70. You know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.