Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my situation is i did terrible in my AS Levels and got b,c,d,u in english psychology biology and chemistry in that order due to illness in my first year of sixth form i was constantly in and out hospital
    I really want to study biomedical science and pursue a career as a biomedical scientist but the only degree course i was accepted on was at QMUL with a foundation year and i need 70% or more in every module in my foundation year to progress on to biomed.
    However after overcoming my illness I have improved greatly at sixth form and now I'm on target for ABB in english psych and bio and a b/c in As chemistry.
    My question is do i do a third year at college and get a full A2 in chemistry and maybe resit a few extra modules in bio and psych or do i do the foundation year which would be brilliant but an extra 9k and the really high 70% pass score to progress worry me
    need help :mad:

ReputationRep:
    You really need to look at the foundation degree to see if you can discount this from any of the years of your degree. As the first year of a BSc is effectively catchup and revision on A-levels anyway you may not be required to do the first year, which financially will work out.

otherwise you may as well retake a year of your college and get decent A-levels to help you on your way.

if you wish to become a biomedical scientist then I can not recommend enough that you check that the BSc that you are to undertake is recognised by the IBMS (you can discover this at their website: IBMS.org.uk) and if at all possible undertake a degree that offers a gap year with one years lab experience included. Whilst it may cost you an extra year the experience gained will be invaluable when you decide to look for a trainee position as the competition from BMS graduates is huge at the moment.

all the best in your studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.