Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my situation is i did terrible in my AS Levels and got b,c,d,u in english psychology biology and chemistry in that order due to illness in my first year of sixth form i was constantly in and out hospital
    I really want to study biomedical science and pursue a career as a biomedical scientist but the only degree course i was accepted on was at QMUL with a foundation year and i need 70% or more in every module in my foundation year to progress on to biomed.
    However after overcoming my illness I have improved greatly at sixth form and now I'm on target for ABB in english psych and bio and a b/c in As chemistry.
    My question is do i do a third year at college and get a full A2 in chemistry and maybe resit a few extra modules in bio and psych or do i do the foundation year which would be brilliant but an extra 9k and the really high 70% pass score to progress worry me
    need help

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a science student, but I did retake a year at 6th Form.
    If retaking a year at college/doing an extra year would get you on track, go ahead. Loads of people take gap years before uni anyway. I retook a year in 6th form due to poor grades without illness, and I know other people who did it due to illness such as cancer.
    If you'd feel more confident doing an extra year at college, then go for it. Talk to your tutor/teacher/relevant person at college, it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you i wasnt severly ill but I missed weeks if not months of work
    did you find it difficult doing an extra year once all your friends had left

ReputationRep:
    Do the extra year. That will give you the chance to get on the courses you really want to get on, and improve your A-Levels anyway. It will be very tough on your foundation year getting more than 70% and you may pay £9000 and fail anyway, on a course that wasn't your first choice anyway. Universities don't view it negatively as long as you have decent mitigating circumstances for resitting modules.

You could also take the time in that extra year to do an A-Level or AS in something else that you are interested in, or take up a new hobby in your free time. That will add to your UCAS application and also give you something different to do.

Don't worry about your friends not being there; you could always go somewhere different if that would make it easier. Otherwise, I am sure you will make new friends anyway, by the time you are 17/18 everyone is a lot more mature and nicer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W00p)
    Thank you i wasnt severly ill but I missed weeks if not months of work
    did you find it difficult doing an extra year once all your friends had left
    It was kind of weird, sort of knowing the people in the year below me already but not being completely integrated with all of them (most had been there since year 7, had a few in-jokes etc), but meh, I got on fine. I had friends in the year group I retook in, so it was all good.
    To be honest, it wasn't that difficult. It's only one year, and once all my friends from my original year group had left for uni, I felt less pulled between two groups of people, if you know what I mean.

People retake years for all sorts of reasons. Mine was a combination of poor exam technique, and undiagnosed muscle problems (reeeeeeeeeaaalllllly slow writing speed, I was entitled to extra time in exams).
    For others, life in general gets in the way. Sometimes someone is bereaved/traumatised and basically gets knocked for six. Sometimes, someone spends a year messing around and not working, then gets their AS results and decides to pull their socks up. There's no shame in it at all!

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you but I would definitely recommend staying in college for an extra year to boost your AS grades. I wish I had done this and would like someone to learn from my mistake haha.
    I wasn't ill in AS or anything but I did really awful, got D's and E's in exams and coursework. Fast forward to A2 and I was getting straight B's plus an A! Sadly my grades from AS meant it averaged out to CCD in the end. At the end of AS I didn't want to retake everything because everyone was talking about UCAS the following year and I got caught up in the moment! So I ended up at a below average university but at the moment I'm headed for a 2:1 which I'll be happy with and don't think I would have had the good experiences and memories I've had, had I gone to a better and bigger university, but you never know.
    If you're worried about this 70% pass rate in the foundation year, perhaps it isn't worth the risk. But if you work really hard I'm sure you'd get the 70% plus more.
    Long story short; safer option to retake AS but going straight into A2 and onto the uni course may also work out.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well i have fast tracked this year and got some of my AS levels up to Bs and im overall on target for ABB so i think another year and finishing A2 chemistry and resitting modules makes a lot of sense thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.