Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey when I go to university obviously I may/want to bring a laptop for lectures / research / notes.

I currently have a Dell laptop which is ok bit old but works fine though a tad heavy XD.
    I was looking around and was wondering what thoughts are for chrome books? They look pretty decent, but I'm not exactly the best expert in this field D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Hey when I go to university obviously I may/want to bring a laptop for lectures / research / notes.

I currently have a Dell laptop which is ok bit old but works fine though a tad heavy XD.
    I was looking around and was wondering what thoughts are for chrome books? They look pretty decent, but I'm not exactly the best expert in this field D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not a fan of chromebooks...........they are too ahead of their time, infrastructure isn't there for proper support.

Just go for a Windows laptop........you'll see a difference in terms of applications/programs available to you

ReputationRep:
    Windows, purely because a lot of Chromebooks focus too much on you having constant internet connection and everything is usually run from chrome store.

ReputationRep:
    As above really. Chromebooks need to be online virtually all the time and most unis internet, while decent, also has the typical high level of problems that you'd expect with that many young people's computers connected to it - when it's good it's good, but you'll get the odd time when somebody accidentally downloads a virus onto the network or it has to be shut down for whatever reason, and then your computer's as good as useless. It's also probably easier to get a Windows laptop fixed if need be, simply because everybody's used to using them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.