Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Photon wavelength probability distribution for blackbody Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here!

I want to model the photons ejected from a blackbody source at temperature T.
    The question I want answered is: given a photon is detected, what is the probability of the photon having a wavelength λ. This amounts to just attaining the probability density function for the different wavelengths.

We normal talk about blackbodies in terms of intensity, or more specifically spectral radiance, but I want to talk about the individual photon wavelength distribution.

My current thoughts are:
    Name:  bb.png
Views: 362
Size:  12.1 KB

Any thoughts on whether this is right?

Thank you!

Peter.

EDIT: The attached graphs are nothing to do with anything. Apparently they just came along for the ride. Bless 'em.
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.