Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm 20, and since I was 15 I've always been 'big' compared to friend, it doesn't bother me, however I think it's time I lose weight and get into shape.

But this is all new to me, so I'm not really sure what kind of stuff I should be doing, or what foods I should or shouldn't be eating.

Due to being busy, I'm locked down to only having 30/40 minutes free each day, to fit this stuff in.

So any advice on workouts, that sort of stuff would be very welcome.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageOne)
    Hello,

I'm 20, and since I was 15 I've always been 'big' compared to friend, it doesn't bother me, however I think it's time I lose weight and get into shape.

But this is all new to me, so I'm not really sure what kind of stuff I should be doing, or what foods I should or shouldn't be eating.

Due to being busy, I'm locked down to only having 30/40 minutes free each day, to fit this stuff in.

Thanks.
    Start by reading the FAQ thread in this forum. It should give you a start on all your questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageOne)
    Hello,

Thanks.
    Fitness is quite separate to weight loss in reality but can be tackled at the same time. Fitness - just do cardio. Find a program online that suits you and follow it. You can work in light weight training as well to help overall athleticism. For losing weight, you need a calorie deficit. That means working out your BMR and using the Harris Benedict equation to work out the amount of calories you use each day. Then after that use a website/app like myfitnesspal to keep track of your calorie intake, and limit yourself to an appropriate amount dependent on your aims. Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. So if you want to lose a pound a week and your daily calorie usage is 2500, you should aim for eating 2000 calories a day.

ReputationRep:
    I started doing the 30 Day Shred simply because it was only 30mins DVD and I could fit it in. Even when I finished work at 7pm, I knew that there was no excuse to not fit in a 30min DVD. It's HIIT using a 3-2-1 system (3min strength, 2min cardio and 1min abs). I've got my thread on here somewhere.

But basically, for food - use myfitnesspal to start looking at calories (and nutrients too - make sure you're not eating loads of fat!), and for exercise, use a DVD or online equivalent. BeFit have quite a few videos on youtube that you can try out (though they usually only have level one, and you have to find/buy the rest)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.