Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I am taking a Geography class on Climate Change and I need the help of you guys! I have to complete an assignment that involves a discussion with as many people as possible. There are five questions that are to be discussed. If you feel like participating, please comment and state at the beginning of your comment which question you are addressing (feel free to answer multiple questions). I hope to get a lot of people involved in this so that we can have a good discussion. I really appreciate your help!

The five questions are:

1. Do you believe that climate change is occurring and that it will affect you within your lifetime, and does this influence your decision on whether you undertake preventative measures and become more energy efficient?

2. The lag between CO2 emissions and temperature increases is causing many people to adopt a "wait and see" approach to emissions reductions. How would you say you compare and how often do you think of the environment and global warming when making decisions?

3. How much of an impact do I really have on the planet if I change all the light bulbs in my house?

4. With their economy in mind, governments allow corporations to utilize various environmentally harmful processes and products. At which point should governments be held responsible and be expected to enforce stricter regulations?

5. Do you believe population growth plays a role in climate change? Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.g.)
    1. Do you believe that climate change is occurring and that it will affect you within your lifetime, and does this influence your decision on whether you undertake preventative measures and become more energy efficient?
    Yes, yes and yes.

2. The lag between CO2 emissions and temperature increases is causing many people to adopt a "wait and see" approach to emissions reductions. How would you say you compare and how often do you think of the environment and global warming when making decisions?
    The lag between CO2 concentrations and increasing temperatures is so small in the as to be inconsequential. You simply won't see it when looking at the data. There isn't anything to be gained from a "wait and see" approach - temperatures have already increased by almost a degree over the course of the last century, sea levels are rising, sea ice volume is decreasing and glaciers are retreating. We're already observing the effects of the current warming - what more could we gain by waiting?

3. How much of an impact do I really have on the planet if I change all the light bulbs in my house?
    A miniscule one, particularly considering you almost certainly have low energy light bulbs in your house already by now.

5. Do you believe population growth plays a role in climate change? Discuss.
    Of course it does. Just as increasing per capita consumption of fossil fuels in a world with a stable population will increase the overall flux of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, an increasing population in which personal demand remains constant will bring about the same result.

I have to say, though, that increasing demand is far more important than population growth is at present. Rapid industrialisation in Asia is the main driver of increasing emissions of greenhouse gases.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.