Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Right so I'm sitting the English Literature Paper 2 Poetry GCSE exam (AQA) on 23rd May and I've been putting off revising because poetry is pretty much the bane of my life. But anyhow the time has come for me to start getting prepared but I just do not understand how to answer the Poem Comparison question!

I understand the content that the answer must contain but I don't understand the structure that the answer is supposed to have.

Do I include an introduction and conclusion (and if so, what should I mention in these)?
    How many similarities should I compare?
    How many differences should I compare?
    How many paragraphs should there be in total?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! ������

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Is this the paper with the anthology, if it is, I hope you find this helpful:

I kept to the structure of:
    Content: What the poem is about
    Language: Words and/or phrases that stick out and their effect on the audience
    Attitude: The values so - love/death/power/relationship (it can be more than one)
    Structure: How is the poem set out ie. free verse, a sonnet etc.
    Self: How is the poem supposed to affect the reader.

For example (using the River God as an example). The 'C' would be: the poem is about a river that 'enjoys' the lives of 'beautiful' ladies..... 'L' The poem uses words that are about power.... etc

So that should be 5 paragraphs - they don't have to be too long. That method can also be used for the unseen poem too. And you can remember it as 'CLASS'.
    I never wrote an introduction or conclusion for English essays, on poetry, so I wouldn't know how to word it - sorry...
    As for the similarities and differences chose one of each (if possible) and go into detail of the chosen similarities or differences. If you can only find one similarity and/or difference just write about that.

As for revising go through all of the poems and write out the CLASS structure and fill it out, so you have some revision notes. And do mock questions. If you go onto the AQA website you should be able to find pass papers and mark schemes (so you know what boundaries you're in and how to improve.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...d-mark-schemes

I hope this makes sense, and is of use to you.
    And good luck in your exam! And sorry for it being really long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddities)
    Hi there!

Is this the paper with the anthology, if it is, I hope you find this helpful:

I kept to the structure of:
    Content: What the poem is about
    Language: Words and/or phrases that stick out and their effect on the audience
    Attitude: The values so - love/death/power/relationship (it can be more than one)
    Structure: How is the poem set out ie. free verse, a sonnet etc.
    Self: How is the poem supposed to affect the reader.

For example (using the River God as an example). The 'C' would be: the poem is about a river that 'enjoys' the lives of 'beautiful' ladies..... 'L' The poem uses words that are about power.... etc

So that should be 5 paragraphs - they don't have to be too long. That method can also be used for the unseen poem too. And you can remember it as 'CLASS'.
    I never wrote an introduction or conclusion for English essays, on poetry, so I wouldn't know how to word it - sorry...
    As for the similarities and differences chose one of each (if possible) and go into detail of the chosen similarities or differences. If you can only find one similarity and/or difference just write about that.

As for revising go through all of the poems and write out the CLASS structure and fill it out, so you have some revision notes. And do mock questions. If you go onto the AQA website you should be able to find pass papers and mark schemes (so you know what boundaries you're in and how to improve.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...d-mark-schemes

I hope this makes sense, and is of use to you.
    And good luck in your exam! And sorry for it being really long.
    Thank you so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is SO helpful but I have a question. You know if your question is like this
    '' Compare the ways poets use structure to develop ideas about a relationship in ‘Sonnet 43’ (page 58) and one other poem from Relationships'' Would you be able to use this structure but just do one similarity, and one difference for each e.g. similarity in content, difference in content, similarity in language, difference in language, similarity in attitudes, difference in attitudes, similarity in structure, difference in structure and similarity in self and difference in self.

Thankyou so much for this. I am SO using this in my exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medskarim)
    Sorry this is SO helpful but I have a question. You know if your question is like this
    '' Compare the ways poets use structure to develop ideas about a relationship in ‘Sonnet 43’ (page 58) and one other poem from Relationships'' Would you be able to use this structure but just do one similarity, and one difference for each e.g. similarity in content, difference in content, similarity in language, difference in language, similarity in attitudes, difference in attitudes, similarity in structure, difference in structure and similarity in self and difference in self.

Thankyou so much for this. I am SO using this in my exam.

Hiya! I'm glad you found it helpful!

*runs and finds anthology that's at the bottom of a drawer in the middle of nowhere...*
    Yes you should be able to do so! I only did more than one similarity and difference on a point if the question focused on 'language' or 'structure' etc. just to show that I had acknowledged the question and wasn't rewriting a 'preplanned' essay... (if that makes sense...)
    (and use the PEAR/PEEL structure)

Hope this makes sense... If it doesn't make sense ask, and I'll try and simplify it, and if I haven't covered your question, re-write it (and be more specific? I'm really bad at explanations... sorry.)

ReputationRep:
    People what would be the structure for the unseen poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry but u don't really get Attitudes ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.