Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I need opinions about LSE Msc Economics and Management or Cam Mphil Finance. I am choosing between these two program so please give comments and suggestions. I am planing to pursue PhD after finishing my Master. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Without having compared the course structures (which from the names sound like the focuses are pretty different) I'd say firstly that you should decide which of the two fields you are more interested in focusing on. If the courses are similar enough that it doesn't matter, then Cambridge would probably stand you in better stead for continuing to PhD.

ReputationRep:
    PhD in what? Economics? Finance?

Usually econ will be a better preparation to do a PhD than finance (the latter courses being more job-oriented).

The E&M at LSE will not be as good as pure economics in order to get into a PhD, but you will still get a full year of econometrics and a full-year micro course. They are also quite cool with the course selection, so if your intention is a PhD in finance you could take courses from that field as well.

The classes are very small so you will easily get good recommendations from professors. However, both are 1-year degrees so what will count the most is your Bachelors grades, otherwise you will have to wait for one year before applying.

I don't know much about the MPhil in Cambridge, to be honest.

If your previous grades are good, both programs should give you decent chances...but if your main goal is PhD in finance, the ideal would have been LSE MSc Economics and Finance.

ReputationRep:
    As said above. Go to LSE if you have the money and want to do a PhD in Econ/Finance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.