Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure whether I am being unreasonable here or just letting my lack of sympathy for people who are perfectly capable of working but choose not to influence me!
    I have a small group of friends who I spend a lot of time with. One of the girls in the group is a friend of a couple of the others, I don't know her that well but it has transpired that she lives near me. She and her partner are both unemployed, on full benefits and receive JSA. She has two children aged 10 and 11 and has not worked since they were born. She has told me that she has no intention of finding a job until the children are in their teens because it is too much hassle with the school run, school holidays eTc
    i appreciate that this is none of my business and do see how it must be hard to bring up a family on JSA and pay off the numerous doorstep loans etc that they have.
    what is bothering me is that, as I have a car and an income I am treated a bit like a chauffeur and a bank with no suggestion of ever doing anything in return. If she's not subtly hinting to my other friends that oh it's so cold and I have to walk to the shops so they ask me to take her and I look mean if I don't then she and the kids just happen to be walking past the end of my road on their way to school whatever time I leave!
    I really don't think she appreciates that cars cost money to run. It's not that I want petrol money, I just resent the assumption that I've got a car so I'm happy to run people around. I've mentioned in conversations how much I spend on my car and her response was that she was glad that she doesn't have one!
    she also asks almost weekly to borrow money- she always pays it back when she says she will so why do I resent this? When we all go out though, she'll never say she can't afford it and then just sits there until someone pays for her. A couple of the others seem to think that it's unfair for her to miss out just because she has no money.
    Am I missing something here or is she just taking the ****? I don't want to stop spending time with my other friends but I'm getting to the stage where I'm wanting to push her freeloading face through a window?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry18)
    Am I missing something here or is she just taking the ****? I don't want to stop spending time with my other friends but I'm getting to the stage where I'm wanting to push her freeloading face through a window?!
    She's is taking liberties, but you are letting her. If you don' want to lend her money, then don't. Same for the use of your car.

Set some boundaries and stick to them. Very important: Stick to them.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Am I being unreasonable- isn't that the usual title for gripes on Mumsnet, or whatever the yummy mummies forum is called? (after David Cameron and Gordon Brown fell over themselves to get the vote of the yummy mummy in the last election, I looked at that website out of curiosity).

And yes set boundaries and stick to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.