Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Suppose the student lives in the cheapest accommodation near the campus and tries his best to cook his own meals, will £9000 be enough to last me during term times and the summer vacations every year? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Here are my estimations:

Food: 100 per month meaning you will need 1200/year
    Rent: 90pw->4680/yr
    Laundry: 250/yr
    Transport:200 pounds for a bycicle
    Books: 300/yr
    Total: 6630/yr

And that's pretty much it. I don't like going out so 9000/yr would be more than enough for me. Even like this, you get 9000-6630=2370/yr for it, meaning you could spend somewhere around 45 pounds per week.

ReputationRep:
    The UK Border Agency (UKBA) requires you to have a budget of at least £1,000 per month to study in London (in addition to your tuition fees). This is the minimum you need to get a visa in central London.

The average student rent is 150 pounds a week.

You can eat cheaply by living on pasta, vegetables and bacon, although you need a bit of fish for the omega 3 fatty acids.

You may be able to find part time work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paleta7)
    Here are my estimations:

And that's pretty much it. I don't like going out so 9000/yr would be more than enough for me. Even like this, you get 9000-6630=2370/yr for it, meaning you could spend somewhere around 45 pounds per week.
    Tips my current Sixth form have given me. Don't just go out and buy loads of books each term as there will be some you won't even use as there is so much material they try and sell you. Go to the universities library to use the books and if, only if, you find yourself looking at the same book every week buy it. Uni books are expensive but trust me, if the course teacher has written a book it is guaranteed to be on the reading list

ReputationRep:
    £90 per week rent? In London?

If you're living on £9000 for the whole year (all 52 weeks) then you'll have £173 per week. Take rent away from that an work it out from there.

I'd give a bit more buffer with the cost of food - more like around £35 per week.

You can get away with not buying books and use the library. If you go out, you may need to pay for the tube/bus occasionally - which is a few quid either way.

But overall, you could get away with £9000 but you may be a bit tight (unless rent really is £90 per week). Try and get about 10k.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Here are my estimations:

Yeah I would agree with this actually. It's possible you would have to spent a bit more on accommodation though unless you are sharing a room.

£9000 is enough and I get by fine in London on less than that. You just have to be careful with your spending and budget wisely.

(Original post by Waterstorm)
    £90 per week rent? In London?

If you're living on £9000 for the whole year (all 52 weeks) then you'll have £173 per week. Take rent away from that an work it out from there.

I'd give a bit more buffer with the cost of food - more like around £35 per week.

You can get away with not buying books and use the library. If you go out, you may need to pay for the tube/bus occasionally - which is a few quid either way.

But overall, you could get away with £9000 but you may be a bit tight (unless rent really is £90 per week). Try and get about 10k.
    You can get £90pw rent or less at Imperial with shared bedrooms. I think £35pw for food is more than enough. I agree that you can use the library and not buy many books.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for informative replies!

It's kind of daunting living in a big city like London. I'm looking forward to travel around Europe for a few days during the term breaks, so I got to be thrifty.

Yes, I think we can save quite a bit on books by going to the library, or getting a second hand copy (or the internet :pirate3:), so that the money wouldn't be so tight.

ReputationRep:
    Here are my estimations:

This is definitely doable, but you'll have a pretty ****ty and antisocial year. For food I was spending 40 - 50 p/w to eat good food, with 3 quid for delivery because it's convenient as hell.

Like Peterwest said, don't even bother buying books. You can always go to the library, or find a PDF online, or just borrow them off somebody if you're desperate.

You have absolutely no money in there for entertainment. If you plan on making friends and doing anything in London, they'll probably have Tube passes and won't be biking around with you from site to site. My advice is to buy the annual Barclay's cycle hire pass if your bike commute is less than 30 minutes each way. Include at least 10 - 15 p/w to take the tube in Zone 1 occasionally for social purposes. Then if you plan on seeing any sites, or taking the train anywhere, add more money to your budget.

An extra £1,000 - £3,000 may seem like a lot now, but you'll just look back in a few years and wonder why you sacrificed so much to save such a negligible amount of money long term.

ReputationRep:
    Addition to the comment about the books. Possibly get to know current 2nd/3rd years and see if they have any books from their first year you could possibly borrow, or they may even give them to you for free! I doubt they change much year to year and students leave many things including unused books lying around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chem_eng_lol)
    This is definitely doable, but you'll have a pretty ****ty and antisocial year. For food I was spending 40 - 50 p/w to eat good food, with 3 quid for delivery because it's convenient as hell.

Like Peterwest said, don't even bother buying books. You can always go to the library, or find a PDF online, or just borrow them off somebody if you're desperate.

You have absolutely no money in there for entertainment. If you plan on making friends and doing anything in London, they'll probably have Tube passes and won't be biking around with you from site to site. My advice is to buy the annual Barclay's cycle hire pass if your bike commute is less than 30 minutes each way. Include at least 10 - 15 p/w to take the tube in Zone 1 occasionally for social purposes. Then if you plan on seeing any sites, or taking the train anywhere, add more money to your budget.

An extra £1,000 - £3,000 may seem like a lot now, but you'll just look back in a few years and wonder why you sacrificed so much to save such a negligible amount of money long term.

yeah i was a little surprised at how little money for food :/ i spend that much money just on lunch at school mon-fri :L
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can manage less than £20 for food and I eat plenty and well :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acruzen)
    yeah i was a little surprised at how little money for food :/ i spend that much money just on lunch at school mon-fri :L
    Well it all depends on if you want to be eating Taste the Difference ready meals or cook your own using the value ingredients. Get a decent student cookbook then only buy the cheapest of every ingredient. You will easily get by on that. But you might fall into a pit of depression without your branded food needs
    Take a look at my girlfriends blog. She has a couple of recipes from my student cookbook that are really nice and cheap to make. http://tutusandballetshoes.blogspot....rch/label/Food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I can manage less than £20 for food and I eat plenty and well :dontknow:
    enjoy "basics" brand

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.