Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    So the situation im in is that im applying for university in september and i have my top 2, Reading & Winchester.
    Reading i can stay at home which is fine, however winchester i have to stay in accomodation. And im fine with that, The problem im having is that
    in order to get the winchester accomodation i have to place it as my firm offer, but then that is really saying winchester all the way. It just means i would have to risk getting into more debt with the finances.

    Is it possible to put a university as your insurance and still get accomodation?
    I dont want to risk only putting one university down and then not getting it and feeling dissapointed.
    Has anyone been in this situation before? and if any of you guys attend winchester how does the accomodation fee's work out, ive done some background reserach but i dont really understand it.

    Small Universities in particular use this as a 'hook' to get you to go Firm - because most people will have them as an Insurance. It doesn't actually mean that you wont get Uni accom if you go there as a result of an Insurance place. They are just using this as a 'carrot'.

    Dont worry about it - choose the course you *really* want as your Firm - every bit of help will be given to make sure you find somewhere to live wherever you go.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.