Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a member of the MAP program, this is the Manchester Access program which means because I fit certain criteria I can do tasks at Manchester University and at the end of it I will get a grade offer reduced by 2 grades e.g A*AA goes to AAB.

As part of the program I must do an academic assignment. I selected to do it on Physics and have been in touch my tutor whom I'm meeting next week. I was told to start thinking of topics and titles.

However I'm not even sure what an Academic Assignment is and therefore can't think of topics or titles.

I was hoping someone could help me out(as in not picking topics or titles for me, just explaining what an Academic Assignment is and maybe a few examples), thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Any help? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAJK)
    Anyone?
    Academic assignment seems a bit vague, but I assume it'll be like an essay of a topic, a bit like an epq i.e. it'll be less academic than a journal or a lab report but more so than an article in a science magazine or something.

Do you know what area of Physics you want to write about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    Academic assignment seems a bit vague, but I assume it'll be like an essay of a topic, a bit like an epq i.e. it'll be less academic than a journal or a lab report but more so than an article in a science magazine or something.

Do you know what area of Physics you want to write about?
    Thanks for the reply and maybe Mechanics or power and energy because they are topics I'm currently studying.

I also thought it was vague, I've never even heard of an academic assignment and I have until Thursday to think of a few titles.

ReputationRep:
    Reall worried, have until Thursday to think of a few topics and titles and I still don't really know what sort of thing I'm going to be writing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a member of the MAP program, this is the Manchester Access program which means because I fit certain criteria I can do tasks at Manchester University and at the end of it I will get a grade offer reduced by 2 grades e.g A*AA goes to AAB.

As part of the program I must do an academic assignment. I selected to do it on Physics and have been in touch my tutor whom I'm meeting next week. I was told to start thinking of topics and titles.

However I'm not even sure what an Academic Assignment is and therefore can't think of topics or titles.

I was hoping someone could help me out(as in not picking topics or titles for me, just explaining what an Academic Assignment is and maybe a few examples), thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi,

I've got no experience in that particular scheme but I did do something where we also had to write an academic assignment. I did not do mine on Physics (although I wish I had) so I'll just talk about the assignment in general which will hopefully be useful (or at least will bump the thread).

For our assignment we were given a list of questions (depending on the subject we picked) although some people did have to choose their own questions similar to you. The assignment had to be between 1500 and 2000 words and it basically was there to prepare you for assignments at university. So the idea was that it had to approach undergraduate standard although we were provided with a lot of help and I'm sure you will too. We also had to use a range of sources and journals and cite different scholars/scientists/philosopher etc or whatever is relevant to what you're doing. So we had to reference all the information we used and include a bibliography.

Again, this might not be the case for you as I have no experience in that particular project. Is there no information on their website or could you possibly email your tutor asking him for more information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username_valid)
    Hi,

I've got no experience in that particular scheme but I did do something where we also had to write an academic assignment. I did not do mine on Physics (although I wish I had) so I'll just talk about the assignment in general which will hopefully be useful (or at least will bump the thread).

For our assignment we were given a list of questions (depending on the subject we picked) although some people did have to choose their own questions similar to you. The assignment had to be between 1500 and 2000 words and it basically was there to prepare you for assignments at university. So the idea was that it had to approach undergraduate standard although we were provided with a lot of help and I'm sure you will too. We also had to use a range of sources and journals and cite different scholars/scientists/philosopher etc or whatever is relevant to what you're doing. So we had to reference all the information we used and include a bibliography.

Again, this might not be the case for you as I have no experience in that particular project. Is there no information on their website or could you possibly email your tutor asking him for more information?
    Thanks for the reply and if had questions I'd be okay but I have to come up with a topic to write about and I have no idea what topic to think of and what sort of thing I would write.

I think I'll email him.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and if had questions I'd be okay but I have to come up with a topic to write about and I have no idea what topic to think of and what sort of thing I would write.

I think I'll email him.
    Yeah it'll be best to email. You could possibly ask for past questions people have answered to give you an idea or ask about how much freedom you have in what the question will be. I assume you won't be asked to investigate anything which will require you to carry out a practical but it will be something more accessible which would require you to research using various texts or online journals. Either that or you will be asked to come up with a discussion type question where you will have to argue one way or the other. Anyway, I'd definitely email and find out. All the best

ReputationRep:
    Well there are a couple of examples on Manchester's website - seems to be a 1500 word essay with referencing

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...ivities-tasks/

Probably the first one is a good template of the structure your essay needs - though there aren't any section headings you can see that it's divided up into an introduction, a main section and a conclusion.

Figures seem to be acceptable - labeled figure1, figure 2 etc so you can refer to them from the text... I like putting figures into 2x1 tables in word so that there's a box around them.
    If you get a choice use a nice clear 'sans' font like Arial size 12, full justification (word makes both margins straight) and probably 1.5 line spacing because it's kinder on academics eyes.

Don't expect to sit down and write it straight through from start to finish - usually the introduction is the last thing you'll write and the rest of it will need several cycles of writing and editing to make sure it stays focused and on topic.

god luck

--

dammit - just seen how old the thread is... can't understand how I found it tbh :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.