The Student Room Group

M1 for AS further maths & M2 for A2 maths??

hellooo! i will do both maths and further maths in september. for the physics-related courses i want to do at uni, UCL and imperial college ask for grade As in M1 and M2 to be done in A level maths. My college doesnt do M1 for AS maths. so i thought my only option is to do M1 for AS further maths and M2 for A2 maths. if i do this, will UCL and imperial college accept me?? or do i have to do M1 & M2 in maths only??
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They won't care which of maths/ further maths you do them in. However, I think that M2 HAS to be in the same subject as M1, or something odd like that...
So, you would have to count them both as part of Further Maths or both as part of maths.
EDIT: I'm not entirely sure on this though... but the exam board will automatically rearrange your modules between AS and A2 and between maths and further maths to give you the best grades possible. The unis really won't care which subject you meant to study them for, as the exam boards automatically move stuff around anyway (unless you are doing maths and further maths on different exam boards, then things get complicated...).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Do you study Further maths or will you do it next year ?
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
They won't care which of maths/ further maths you do them in. However, I think that M2 HAS to be in the same subject as M1, or something odd like that...
So, you would have to count them both as part of Further Maths or both as part of maths.

Are you sure? I thought the applied modules (mechanics, statistics, decision) could be freely interchanged across the Maths and Further Maths A-Levels to maximise your grades? I didn't know M1 and M2 had to be under the same subject o.o

EDIT: I HEREBY DECLARE YOUR EDIT ACKNOWLEDGED
(edited 11 years ago)
you can't do M2 for normal maths
maths consist of modules c1 c2 c3 c4 and in additional you could do m1 d1 s1 which you are doing s1 and d1 in additional.
if you are only doing as further maths, aswell as doing fp1 and m1 you could do m2.
maths consist of modules c1 c2 c3 c4 and in additional you could do m1 d1 s1 which you are doing s1 and d1 in additional.
if you are only doing AS further maths, aswell as doing fp1 and m1 you could do m2.
Reply 6
Original post by haroon77
Do you study Further maths or will you do it next year ?
i will start my AS levels in september. i will definitely be doing A2 maths from september 2014, but im not so sure if i will be doing A2 further maths.
Reply 7
Original post by thephysicsguy

Just to clarify the original poster can't have M2 in maths and M1 in FM but
C1-C4 are mandatory. For the applications units you can choose D1+D2, S1+S2, M1+M2 or any combination of 2 from D1/M1/S1. You just can't have a '2' unit without the corresponding '1' unit in 'normal' maths (e.g. can't count S1+M2).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
If you were doing maths and further maths you can change them around a bit, all the applied modules can be mixed around into whatever you want.
Reply 9
Original post by naseem hossen
i will start my AS levels in september. i will definitely be doing A2 maths from september 2014, but im not so sure if i will be doing A2 further maths.

Have you done gcse math ?
hellooo! i will do both maths and further maths in september. for the physics-related courses i want to do at uni, UCL and imperial college ask for grade As in M1 and M2 to be done in A level maths. My college doesnt do M1 for AS maths. so i thought my only option is to do M1 for AS further maths and M2 for A2 maths. if i do this, will UCL and imperial college accept me?? or do i have to do M1 & M2 in maths only??

Provided you have studied M1 and M2 UCL and Imperial will not mind which of the qualifications they have been allocated to
don't be scared of a2 further maths, once you get the hang of fp2-3 they are not hard at all, it just introduces 'new' calculus and coordinate geometry and algebra. as the 3rd module of a2 fm you can do S2 which is trust me easier and shorter than S1. It would be really good if you do it because there are very very hardcore maths in phyics, in fact physics is maths and vice versa but if you don't, you can always still get accepted and catch up in uni...
Having sat down with the head of maths at my sixth form, I know what's going on. You can either take M1 and M2 both together under the normal maths/further maths heading, or m1 in maths and m2 in fm (as I did). But what you can't do is take M2 in normal maths and M1 in FM. (The exam boards believe that further maths is there to 'further' your knowledge, whether that be by taking you down a whole new branch of mathematics or by building upon a module taken in normal maths). Hope this helps a little!

Hey, just to let you know, A2 further math's isn't so bad. Applied modules are very straight forward, many further mathematicians find themselves in a great position whereby to get an 'A' grade, they only have to get a low percentage in their final paper due to being able to swap modules around between maths and further maths to maximise their score! (and having double the amount of maths lessons a week helps a little as well :wink:)
Reply 14
Original post by haroon77
Have you done gcse math ?

yep, i have an A
Original post by thephysicsguy
if you are only doing AS further maths, aswell as doing fp1 and m1 you could do m2.

you can do C1234 and M1 and M2 OR S1 and S2 OR D1 and D2 for a full Alevel in Maths.
Original post by upthegunners
you can do C1234 and M1 and M2 OR S1 and S2 OR D1 and D2 for a full Alevel in Maths.

But there are other alternatives too
Reply 17
Original post by Hunarench95
Having sat down with the head of maths at my sixth form, I know what's going on. You can either take M1 and M2 both together under the normal maths/further maths heading, or m1 in maths and m2 in fm (as I did). But what you can't do is take M2 in normal maths and M1 in FM. (The exam boards believe that further maths is there to 'further' your knowledge, whether that be by taking you down a whole new branch of mathematics or by building upon a module taken in normal maths). Hope this helps a little!

Original post by Hunarench95
Hey, just to let you know, A2 further math's isn't so bad. Applied modules are very straight forward, many further mathematicians find themselves in a great position whereby to get an 'A' grade, they only have to get a low percentage in their final paper due to being able to swap modules around between maths and further maths to maximise their score! (and having double the amount of maths lessons a week helps a little as well :wink:)

hello again! im also doing physics and french as my other 2 A levels. if i do maths,physics and further maths for A2 (dropping french at AS), i think i will have that feeling of 'wayyy-tooooo-much-maths-to-handle'. if this is the case, what do you advise me to do? (i really like maths)
hello again! im also doing physics and french as my other 2 A levels. if i do maths,physics and further maths for A2 (dropping french at AS), i think i will have that feeling of 'wayyy-tooooo-much-maths-to-handle'. if this is the case, what do you advise me to do? (i really like maths)

Most people who do double maths do it with 2 other courses, not just 1

do it all

Quick Reply

Latest