Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, this is just a thread for anyone that studies AS or A2 Geography. Share advice on revision, recommend books and discuss exam techniques.
    This thread is really general, so feel free to discuss anything Geography related.

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    For case studies remember 7 things
    learn less well known and current case studies - shows flare
    Learn about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - you can use it in every unit for all exam boards in some way shape or form, is something that is often missed, but something that will get you marks.

DO NOT use CGP revision guides, use the ones by the exam boards and see if you can hold of alternative text books for your spec, they will often help.

For fieldwork and skills side of the specs, actually do fieldwork for A2 and don't just copy and 'improve' your AS, it is often very noticeable by the examiner as it is weaker than you'd expect for a personal investigation and it is the same as others in your cohort, it is a very important skill that you will need if you want to take geography further. I do have a structure guide if people want it, will only share via PM. For skills don't try and show off, if simple skills will get you the marks use them, and again link to GIS.

Feel free to PM me, I did used to work for the exam boards and still involved with fieldwork and skills side of A Level and GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    For case studies remember 7 things
    learn less well known and current case studies - shows flare
    Learn about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - you can use it in every unit for all exam boards in some way shape or form, is something that is often missed, but something that will get you marks.

DO NOT use CGP revision guides, use the ones by the exam boards and see if you can hold of alternative text books for your spec, they will often help.

For fieldwork and skills side of the specs, actually do fieldwork for A2 and don't just copy and 'improve' your AS, it is often very noticeable by the examiner as it is weaker than you'd expect for a personal investigation and it is the same as others in your cohort, it is a very important skill that you will need if you want to take geography further. I do have a structure guide if people want it, will only share via PM. For skills don't try and show off, if simple skills will get you the marks use them, and again link to GIS.

Feel free to PM me, I did used to work for the exam boards and still involved with fieldwork and skills side of A Level and GCSE.
    Perfect timing, i just got back from my Geography residential field trip. We did a lot of work on skills and we actually went outdoors. However, we only touched on GIS on the last day of the trip. We spoke about Google Earth, layering information and how it can be manipulated for a more sophisticated way of presenting data collected. We were also told about other programs like Eri.
    I am an AS-Level Geog student. Exam board: AQA.
    Topics: Geographical skills, Health issues, Population change, Rivers, Arid environments

Any advice on what you suggest I do in order to revise for Geog skills?

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you mean ArcGIS and Esri for GIS? You can get open source, although never tried any of the open source stuff.

The way in which they've said to you about GIS is one use, that needs far more research.

For skills, could be anything can never tell, better with skills to revise it all.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, that's what I meant! Lol

On another note; do you have any idea where I can get revision resources for Arid environments?

ReputationRep:
    revision resources for what?

There are tonnes of revision guides, get the ones that are endorsed by the exam board, the others are okay, not the best though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just wondered whether anyone knows the pre release date for the unit 4 edexcel exam? I can't find anything on Edexcel's website and I've heard some people say that its released in May sometime

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.