Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am doing some questions (have the marking scheme for these questions as well) on the above. I am confused with one of the questions - Q - Suggest why the colume of the inhaled air is not directly proportional to the number of breaths per minute. The answer as provided by the MS is -

depth of breathing changes at low % carbon dioxide, increase in % CO2
    results in volume of each breath increasing without increase / little increase
    in number of breaths

I am not clear on the explanation as given above. Can someone please help?

Thanks in Advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matiz303)
    Hi,

I am doing some questions (have the marking scheme for these questions as well) on the above. I am confused with one of the questions - Q - Suggest why the colume of the inhaled air is not directly proportional to the number of breaths per minute. The answer as provided by the MS is -

depth of breathing changes at low % carbon dioxide, increase in % CO2
    results in volume of each breath increasing without increase / little increase
    in number of breaths

So if I took 50 breaths, but each were tiny and 15 breaths which were much larger can you not see that the volume of air inhaled has nothing to do with the volume.
    As for the markscheme, I'm assuming that only part of the question has been posted. . .

Thanks in Advance
    We have a solution, but no complete problem. If you post the q, I'm happy to help
    The answer would be more explicable with the question.

ReputationRep:
    It means when there is high levels of CO2 you take deeper breaths. Deeper breaths only affect the volume you're breathing in not the amount of times you breathe in a set time.

So basically. High CO2 levels in your blood = deeper breaths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.