Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ill be moving to London as a student in September and I'm wondering whether the student oyster or the normal oyster with a 16-24 rail card added on would be best. With the student oyster I would probably buy the 4 week travel cards.
    I've read online that it depends on how much you use the tube to which works out cheapest but i still can't quite get my head around it. I will be using the tube a fair bit since my job will require me to use it too. Also, I'll be buying the 16-24 rail card whether or not it is added on to my oyster as ill be using the train to go home.
    Could anyone help advise me on which will be cheapest??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your age - you'll be able to get a 16+ oyster card if you are under 19 when your course starts which makes everything really cheap - travel cards, pay as you go tubes, and free buses! if not, the 18+ student oyster would be your best bet - it makes the cost of monthly travel cards a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    If you're 18+ get the 18+ student oyster card, as this gives you discounts on monthly passes. Then get the 16 - 25 rail card and have it added to your oyster as then you'll save money on single journeys too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccafairy)
    it depends on your age - you'll be able to get a 16+ oyster card if you are under 19 when your course starts which makes everything really cheap - travel cards, pay as you go tubes, and free buses! if not, the 18+ student oyster would be your best bet - it makes the cost of monthly travel cards a lot cheaper.
    Ooh! Ill be 18 when my course starts but I just presumed that I would have to get the 18+ oyster as ill be 18. Thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    If you're 18+ get the 18+ student oyster card, as this gives you discounts on monthly passes. Then get the 16 - 25 rail card and have it added to your oyster as then you'll save money on single journeys too.
    Thanks! I did think that this would be best but I read on here that you're not allowed to add a rail card onto a student oyster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11:11)
    Ooh! Ill be 18 when my course starts but I just presumed that I would have to get the 18+ oyster as ill be 18. Thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    then definitely get the 16+ - you save sooo much money!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I did think that this would be best but I read on here that you're not allowed to add a rail card onto a student oyster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you're allowed - I've done it

You can't get the student oyster until you start Uni, in which case you'll be 18 so won't be eligible for the 16+ railcard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Yes you're allowed - I've done it

You can't get the student oyster until you start Uni, in which case you'll be 18 so won't be eligible for the 16+ railcard.
    yes you are as it's 16-18. unfortunately i started my course at 19, but everyone who was 18 when they started has the 16+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccafairy)
    yes you are as it's 16-18. unfortunately i started my course at 19, but everyone who was 18 when they started has the 16+.
    Sorry to be a pain but do you know what the benefits to a 16+ oyster are? I know that the student oyster gives you a third off of travel cards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pain but do you know what the benefits to a 16+ oyster are? I know that the student oyster gives you a third off of travel cards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's okay, all the info is here - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx
    travel cards are really cheap with it but pay as you go is so cheap that you may not need to bother!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.