Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For as long as I can remember, I've gone through phases with my mood. The majority of the time I'm absolutely fine, completely normal and happy. But sometimes - usually on/off for a few weeks, months or sometimes longer - I get so down I just don't know what to do with myself. I get very easily annoyed and moody with everyone, particularly my boyfriend when he's trying to help, and I don't want to do anything because things that I usually enjoy just don't seem like any fun any more.

I can't think of the cause of it, it just seems like a combination of things - I worry that my friends don't like me, that I'm failing my degree or that I've put on weight and everyone will notice. I know deep down none of these things are true, or that I'm exaggerating, but in my mind they still get me really down. To the point that sometimes I'll just start crying at the smallest things and cant explain whats wrong.

I used to think that it was completely normal, but one of my friends who's a nurse said I should go see a doctor. I'm too scared to go to the doctor because I know they will refer me to a councillor and I don't want to tell my boyfriend that I'm going to a councillor because he'll think I'm exaggerating.

Does anyone have any tips, or have they felt something similar? I just don't know what to do, its been going on for so long, and seems to be getting worse at the moment

I have a similar sort of problem! I have 13 exams coming up in may, june and july and apparently its stress?

Perhaps this is normal for someone who is young, coping with the pressure of a degree and getting used to 'life' and everything that comes with it?

Just don't label yourself 'ill' or anything just yet, does your uni have councillors? Maybe a couple of sessions, kept quiet from the BF might be some use and a confidence boost x
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.