Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys

Some of you may know that we have to do a report based on an biological Issue or visit.
    I am really struggling here..i've searched through other threads similiar to this however i simply cannot find the answer to this.

for my MAIN solution, based on the drug i am looking it ... it has so many trials upto 4. I don't know how many to do..? If both of their trials included similiar things then i don't know which to choose from. It's really confusing, do i need to do one placebo controlled trial and one drug trial?

Link: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...=&t=articleTop (there are Bensimon, L. Lacomblez, V. Meininger, and the ALS/Riluzole Study Group)

And could you also help me with the last couple of sections: talking about reliability validity of two sources... (what does International standing / peer reviewed mean)..

Finally, one more thing when your doing the bibliography we have to include date accessed ( not sure whether to use the date I have accessed now or the website's date)...

I know i shud have asked my teacher but my teacher is not helping us with these things much.. and i shud have done an easier issue report.

Any help wud be great! Please.... i am really confused here any Biology edexcel students whose doing similiar things as me or ex-bio students who got really good grade in this.. woud be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacksgap)
    Hello guys

Some of you may know that we have to do a report based on an biological Issue or visit.
    I am really struggling here..i've searched through other threads similiar to this however i simply cannot find the answer to this.

for my MAIN solution, based on the drug i am looking it ... it has so many trials upto 4. I don't know how many to do..? If both of their trials included similiar things then i don't know which to choose from. It's really confusing, do i need to do one placebo controlled trial and one drug trial?

Link: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...=&t=articleTop (there are Bensimon, L. Lacomblez, V. Meininger, and the ALS/Riluzole Study Group)

And could you also help me with the last couple of sections: talking about reliability validity of two sources... (what does International standing / peer reviewed mean)..

Finally, one more thing when your doing the bibliography we have to include date accessed ( not sure whether to use the date I have accessed now or the website's date)...

I know i shud have asked my teacher but my teacher is not helping us with these things much.. and i shud have done an easier issue report.

Any help wud be great! Please.... i am really confused here any Biology edexcel students whose doing similiar things as me or ex-bio students who got really good grade in this.. woud be nice.
    Technically, you could use as many trials for that one drug, but it would be better to choose 1/2 that are easier to understand, and more relevant to what you're looking for. Also, if its easier to evaluate, it'll be good too. It doesn't need a placebo, but you'd maybe mention it when evaluating

Looking at the sources, reliability is whether it has been carried out again and have results supported that, validity is whether it measures what its intended to measures. I don't know what international standing means, but peer review is the process by which scientific findings are published, and other scientists check the results by carrying out the experiments again, in hope to collect the same findings. All journal articles must undergo this process before it can be published.

Date accessed just in case they want to check websites, and its no longer available.. I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Technically, you could use as many trials for that one drug, but it would be better to choose 1/2 that are easier to understand, and more relevant to what you're looking for. Also, if its easier to evaluate, it'll be good too. It doesn't need a placebo, but you'd maybe mention it when evaluating

Looking at the sources, reliability is whether it has been carried out again and have results supported that, validity is whether it measures what its intended to measures. I don't know what international standing means, but peer review is the process by which scientific findings are published, and other scientists check the results by carrying out the experiments again, in hope to collect the same findings. All journal articles must undergo this process before it can be published.

Date accessed just in case they want to check websites, and its no longer available.. I believe

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacksgap)
    thank you.
    No problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.