The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You don't sound that far behind. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure your instructor teaches you everything you need to be able to do before you take your test.

I have my driving test next Tuesday (wish me luck!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Also, I think the average amount of lessons it takes a person now is between 40-45. So you have plenty of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say your doing great, really great for 6 lessons. :smile:
sounds like u're doing great tbh, i'm on my 10th lesson and my instructor is still afraid to take me on the road cos i can't steer :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Hey guys, thought I'd let you know I decided to call it a day after 20 hours of lessons. I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to learn at the moment. Only just started reverse parking and i'm atrocious at it. Feel like I've wasted 400 quid to be honest. I'm going to wait until i'm ready to learn and then go back to it.

aww that's such a pity, it didn't sound like you were behind at all! But if it's too much for you right now then that's fair enough. I have found it quite emotionally draining learning to drive so far. My instructor surprised me with a roundabout on the way home the other day, as soon as we got round it and parked up at home I just burst into tears :frown: Even if I can get my maneuvers and my control down soon, I think it will take a while before I actually feel comfortable driving. I am looking into buying a car and insuring it on a provisional license (surprisingly cheap!) so I can practice none scary things like parking, three point turns etc with my boyfriend. I don't think I'll be going on a roundabout with a none dual controlled car anytime soon! Tbh I'd like to just spend hours getting a feel for the controls without anyone prompting me, just let me have a feel around myself and get used to it in my own time. Perhaps you could look into this when you decide to learn again?
Original post by helenrs
aww that's such a pity, it didn't sound like you were behind at all! But if it's too much for you right now then that's fair enough. I have found it quite emotionally draining learning to drive so far. My instructor surprised me with a roundabout on the way home the other day, as soon as we got round it and parked up at home I just burst into tears :frown: Even if I can get my maneuvers and my control down soon, I think it will take a while before I actually feel comfortable driving. I am looking into buying a car and insuring it on a provisional license (surprisingly cheap!) so I can practice none scary things like parking, three point turns etc with my boyfriend. I don't think I'll be going on a roundabout with a none dual controlled car anytime soon! Tbh I'd like to just spend hours getting a feel for the controls without anyone prompting me, just let me have a feel around myself and get used to it in my own time. Perhaps you could look into this when you decide to learn again?

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm just finding it really tough. I don't want people to think i'm a quitter but I'm just not in the state of mind I need to be to progress. In my last lesson, I just kept stalling the car and couldn't even move off at one point. I would also like to just get used to the controls and practice stopping and starting properly. Will probably come back to it after uni.
Reply 26
I'm in a similar position to you. I'm just finding it really tough. I don't want people to think i'm a quitter but I'm just not in the state of mind I need to be to progress. In my last lesson, I just kept stalling the car and couldn't even move off at one point. I would also like to just get used to the controls and practice stopping and starting properly. Will probably come back to it after uni.

That's fair enough and at the end of the day, it's your decision. Although considering that you have already had 20 hours of lessons, it would be unfortunate if you were to just stop and leave it until you finish uni. It would be best to just go for it and try and get it done and out of the way so that you wont have to worry about it ever again! :smile:

Oh, and I have my driving test tomorrow - wish me luck! :eek:
Original post by Luke070
That's fair enough and at the end of the day, it's your decision. Although considering that you have already had 20 hours of lessons, it would be unfortunate if you were to just stop and leave it until you finish uni. It would be best to just go for it and try and get it done and out of the way so that you wont have to worry about it ever again! :smile:

Oh, and I have my driving test tomorrow - wish me luck! :eek:

Wow, good luck! You'll be fine! I will probably wait until next summer.
Reply 28
Wow, good luck! You'll be fine! I will probably wait until next summer.

Thanks! I hope so...

Fair enough. Besides, there's no rush unless you actually i intend on driving. I personally wont be buying a car until I've finished uni.
Reply 29
I've currently done 6 1 hour driving lessons and I think I'm really falling behind. I'm extremely nervous and I find myself forgetting what to do. We've just done emerging and turning left and right as well as cross roads and crossing paths. I'm not very good at doing any of them but that's the stage I'm on. I'm still stalling a lot when i'm starting up and I take quite a long time to start the car moving as I usually stall first time. Is this normal at this stage?

You are not alone! I felt like a complete idiot when I first started to drive. The most important thing is to have a GOOD instructor. One who encourages you and gives you motivation regardless of whether you are falling behind, repeating mistakes, or forgetting what to do. I realised that the only reason why I was feeling so down and useless at driving was my instructor. He was a complete d...head. He kept telling me how I was very behind, too fragile to drive, and forgetful to an unacceptable level. I hated the lessons I had with him and had no motivation to learn how to drive at all. I started taking lessons from another instructor and she was fabulous. The amount of motivation and support she gave me was wonderful! I loved my lessons and no longer felt like a hopeless fool. So, my point is insufficient motivation can make you feel like you're not capable of driving or that you're very slow at learning. So find someone who gives you the support you need. If you are already getting it then there is no reason you should feel that way, it is not easy, think of it as taking a course just like you do in college/uni. Determination and motivation will get you there! I think I should stop writing now. :colondollar:Good luck.
Reply 30

That's fair enough, at the end of the day it's completely up to you!
I'd advise you to try and carry on if you can - it sometimes just takes a few more lessons for you to feel comfortable behind the wheel! Bit anyway, it's whatever you're happy with doing -
my only suggestion for the future is not to have two hour lessons - if you split them up into two one-hour lessons it's easier to remember stuff from the last lesson!
Good luck whatever you do though :smile:
Reply 31

That's fair enough, I've only started now and I've finished uni. I couldn't afford lessons before/during uni and I certainly couldn't afford a car. My plan was to learn at the end of uni in case I needed a license/car for work. But then I had a phd lined up, so I new I didn't need one before I finished so I left it a while longer (no one wants to do final exams and driving lessons at the same time!). So now I'm a postgrad, and I'm just starting to learn :P Unfortunately I don't think it gets much easier as I'm still nervous about it, as much as I think I would have been before uni. But there's a little less pressure on me and I'm a bit more grown up now, I don't get flustered by angry drivers tailgating me even though I'm doing the speed limit. Also, many of my classmates did their lessons before uni, couldnt afford a car, and then didn't drive for 3-4 years. The good ones got recap lessons to get their confidence up again, and the bad ones just went straight on the roads and wrote their cars off fairly quickly. So I think the best thing to do is learn when you can actually afford the time and money to carry on driving after you've done your test. 40 hours isn't a lot of practice time if you're not going to drive again for so long.
Reply 32
Hey guys, thought I'd let you know I decided to call it a day after 20 hours of lessons. I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to learn at the moment. Only just started reverse parking and i'm atrocious at it. Feel like I've wasted 400 quid to be honest. I'm going to wait until i'm ready to learn and then go back to it.

I feel like I'm bad too but I don't want to waste the little progress I have made, and obviously the money spent. I'm terrible at reversing too and judging the steering but practise makes perfect right? Plus you said you've only just started it, like me, and I'm sure it will take a while to get used to.

I understand if you feel like you've had enough but once you have it out the way you'll feel so proud.
Reply 33
I've currently done 6 1 hour driving lessons and I think I'm really falling behind. I'm extremely nervous and I find myself forgetting what to do. We've just done emerging and turning left and right as well as cross roads and crossing paths. I'm not very good at doing any of them but that's the stage I'm on. I'm still stalling a lot when i'm starting up and I take quite a long time to start the car moving as I usually stall first time. Is this normal at this stage?

I was around the same stage after 6 hours, it took me 7 months of lessons before I passed my test. Your first lot of lessons are really just to build up confidence before you go on busy roads or roads with higher speed limits. Once your comfortable with the car and confident in your driving you'll move through every else quite fast as it gets a lot easier overtime.

Latest

Trending

Trending