Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm just researching some universitites and courses as it will be my turn to apply this year and I've come across a double degree programme offered by the University of Cardiff and Science Po Bordeaux. On the website it says that entry is competitive...Does anyone know more about this programme or has applied last year? Like, what are they looking for in the personal statement,what are the grades you need to recieve an offer, what kind of questions do they ask during the interview? I'd really appreciate some help!

Lia

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lia

I'm one of the students on the Cardiff-Bordeaux programme. The website talks about entry requirements, and gives some statistics, but these are for all language and politics programmes as a whole. The Cardiff-Bordeaux programme is a bit special from the others, so don't really base yourself on that. What they really are looking for are people that are willing to discover/improve a new language and culture, that are open-minded, and that are interested in the world around them. So those are the things that should come out in a personal statement.

Like-wise, the interview is similar: apart from the normal "why are you interested in this programme", etc. , they ask questions about the news, politics, and France and the UK in general. Part of the interview is in French: what they want to see is that you are motivated and interested, more than your level per se.

Here is the official prospectus from Cardiff: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/resourc...4.file.eng.pdf (page 78).
    And here is the official prospectus from Bordeaux: http://www.sciencespobordeaux.fr/mod..._R2013_web.pdf (page 8). Note how people from the French side do an extra (fifth) year!

I hope I answered your questions, and if you have any others, don't hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennet)
    Hi Lia

I'm one of the students on the Cardiff-Bordeaux programme. The website talks about entry requirements, and gives some statistics, but these are for all language and politics programmes as a whole. The Cardiff-Bordeaux programme is a bit special from the others, so don't really base yourself on that. What they really are looking for are people that are willing to discover/improve a new language and culture, that are open-minded, and that are interested in the world around them. So those are the things that should come out in a personal statement.

Like-wise, the interview is similar: apart from the normal "why are you interested in this programme", etc. , they ask questions about the news, politics, and France and the UK in general. Part of the interview is in French: what they want to see is that you are motivated and interested, more than your level per se.

Here is the official prospectus from Cardiff: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/resourc...4.file.eng.pdf (page 78).
    And here is the official prospectus from Bordeaux: http://www.sciencespobordeaux.fr/mod..._R2013_web.pdf (page 8). Note how people from the French side do an extra (fifth) year!

I hope I answered your questions, and if you have any others, don't hesitate to ask!

First of all, thanks! Sorry I'm only replying now! However, I will definitely apply! Do you remember when your interview took place? Like, in the first half of December or something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.