Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm looking to buy (hopefully second hand on ebay/amazon) an anatomy book so I can read up a wee bit on the material before I start Dental School in September. The main reason is because I have not studied Biology this year (though studied it at Scottish Higher last year) and don't want to be completely clueless with some of the more complex ideas. So, my question is, could anyone recommend a textbook suitable for a BDS1??

I have seen some medical students recommend: this,http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/019923446...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
    but would it be as relevant to dentistry as any other book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Positive rep for anyone kind enough to reply

ReputationRep:
    Or should I go for one more specifically for the head?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klink)
    Hello! I'm looking to buy (hopefully second hand on ebay/amazon) an anatomy book so I can read up a wee bit on the material before I start Dental School in September. The main reason is because I have not studied Biology this year (though studied it at Scottish Higher last year) and don't want to be completely clueless with some of the more complex ideas. So, my question is, could anyone recommend a textbook suitable for a BDS1??

I have seen some medical students recommend: this,http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/019923446...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
    but would it be as relevant to dentistry as any other book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Positive rep for anyone kind enough to reply
    Don't buy a specific head and neck anatomy book yet until you get the reading list from your actual dental school (the anatomy tutor who sets your exams might recommend a book which they have wrote etc).

If you were to buy a general anatomy book, it will still include enough content on the head and neck. I would recommend either of the three following textbooks as they are commonly used by health science students:

Fundamental of Anatomy and Physiology by Martini et al

Anatomy and Physiology by Saladin

Clinically Orientated Anatomy by Moore et al

If I was in your situation, I would try and find free online resources first to get used to anatomy before buying any books. There will be many copies in your health sciences library and there is lots of anatomy related information out there on the web - try out YouTube and Google.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with brahinmanc - don't buy any textbooks before you start. The uni will give you a recommended reading list. Plus you'll have student discount to play with, and most uni's have bookshops on campus with student prices or second hand books from older students. And there's always the library! They won't expect you to know much anatomy when you arrive so I wouldn't worry.

However to answer your question, the books I got were:
    Illustrated Anatomy of the Head and Neck by M. Fehrenbach
    Dental Anatomy Colouring Book by Saunders (edited by Fehrenbach).

Both were very useful. The colouring book is actually a great way to learn the nerves, etc. Another book we were recommended (but I didn't get) was McMinn's Colour Atlas of Head and Neck Anatomy. Some people in my year got that and found it pretty useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.