Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am from the EU and would like to study computer science in the UK. I got a post-interview rejection from Cambridge and conditional offers from Imperial College, St Andrews (2nd year entry), UCL and Bristol. At the moment I think about Imperial College and St Andrews, but can’t make a decision. When I look at the British university rankings, they are almost at the same level, both in general (Imperial 5.4 – St. Andrews 5.7) and specifically in computer science (Imperial 3.9 – St. Andrews 5.0). Imperial is my only choice which wants an IELTS-language exam (the next test centre is 300 km away, although I live in a city with 2 million people).
    The course at imperial seems to have more practical work and I guess there are more options to choose later because the department is much larger than the one at St Andrews. The department in St Andrews is much smaller, so I’ll have fewer choices, but a better atmosphere I guess. I would have to do some catch-up work so that I can start in the 2nd year, which would be also a disadvantage and almost everybody would know each other already. St Andrews is really beautiful, whereas the Imperial College Campus is just squeezed in the middle of London – I would prefer St Andrews as a location. And they have more traditions and stuff like that, which is pretty cool I think.
    Now the biggest difference: Imperial 2000 pounds, St Andrews 1000 pounds roughly per month. London is more expensive and England has much higher tuition fees. Do you think that it is worth to pay 50.000 Pounds to go to Imperial instead of St Andrews? I visited Imperial College twice, should I also visit St Andrews, or is Imperial that much better that it’s not worth to consider St Andrews anymore?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Computer Science at Imperial (my insurance was UCL) and I really love the course.
    In terms of reputation, Imperial has a better worldwide reputation (8th in the Times: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u.../world-ranking). I don't know much about St Andrews, but all I can say is that studying Computer Science at Imperial was one of the best decisions of my life.

If you have any question about the course I will be glad to answer

Edit: BTW why do you prefer St Andrews over UCL? I know London can be expansive, but it's an amazing city.

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said St Andrews seems better and tbh Id rather go there, I live in London and I wanna get out of here but I think its more England that I want to get out of :P

St Andrews has better rankings in comp sci and overall, better atmosphere AND cheaper.
    -So here you'd go to a "beautiful" uni which has better rankings that Imperial and cheaper however you would start in 2nd year BUT you'd spend even less money that way as you miss a year of payments!

Imperial: "squeezed in middle of London", more expensive, lower rankings and life would be significantly more expensive in London however apparently as you said you get a wider choice.

It seems you would prefer St Andrews I would probably too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terk)
    From what you've said St Andrews seems better and tbh Id rather go there, I live in London and I wanna get out of here but I think its more England that I want to get out of :P

St Andrews has better rankings in comp sci and overall, better atmosphere AND cheaper.
    -So here you'd go to a "beautiful" uni which has better rankings that Imperial and cheaper however you would start in 2nd year BUT you'd spend even less money that way as you miss a year of payments!

Imperial: "squeezed in middle of London", more expensive, lower rankings and life would be significantly more expensive in London however apparently as you said you get a wider choice.

It seems you would prefer St Andrews I would probably too.

St Anrews has better rankings? What are you talking about?

Times Higher Education: Imperial 8th - St Andres 108.
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u.../world-ranking

QS Ranking: Imperial 6th - St Andrews 93.
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2012

Other ranking (Just in UK): Imperial 4th - St Andrews 6
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Just if you look at the ranking of the Guardian, Imperial is not better than St Andres. However, if you look at the parameters that the Guardian is using you understand that it is probably the worst ranking ever if you don't care about career prospects (rankings don't mean much anyway).

The department of Computer Science of Imperial is one of the best in the country.

According to a Google Employer that came to the last fair, last year Imperial was the second biggest source of Google interns (first was Warsaw in Poland).

Pro Imperial: Better rankings (and much better reputation worldwide), amazing department, and London is a wonderful city

Pro St Andrews: Cheaper, and better atmosphere? (Not sure of that, but I don't know St Andrews enough)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concatMap)
    St Anrews has better rankings? What are you talking about?

Times Higher Education: Imperial 8th - St Andres 108.
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u.../world-ranking

QS Ranking: Imperial 6th - St Andrews 93.
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2012

Other ranking (Just in UK): Imperial 4th - St Andrews 6
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Just if you look at the ranking of the Guardian, Imperial is not better than St Andres. However, if you look at the parameters that the Guardian is using you understand that it is probably the worst ranking ever if you don't care about career prospects (rankings don't mean much anyway).

The department of Computer Science of Imperial is one of the best in the country.

According to a Google Employer that came to the last fair, last year Imperial was the second biggest source of Google interns (first was Warsaw in Poland).

Pro Imperial: Better rankings (and much better reputation worldwide), amazing department, and London is a wonderful city

Pro St Andrews: Cheaper, and better atmosphere? (Not sure of that, but I don't know St Andrews enough)
    All my info I got from OP, never did any research but thanks for the neg.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.