The Student Room Group

New Kent Youth Crime Commissioner posts offensive tweets

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the point of this position. It just seems excessive and unnecessary. Furthermore paying her £15,000 a year for such a position when other more vital cuts are being made to the police force just seems even more ridiculous.
Also she was actually crying at one point when apologising and explaining herself and that was just after a bit of pressure and reaction from the press. Imagine what she'd do if she came under real pressure.

I like how in the interview she claims she didn't mean those tweets in that way. Standard response really but there isn't many other ways you can take such comments. And she does the whole "I actually know some gay people" routine which clearly proves she's not homophobic. Also she tries to defend it because the term "faggot" is also define as something else in urban dictionary. The n bomb may be also listed as "a person who loves fluffy bunnies" but that doesn't mean it's ok to use it.

She should just quit and be done with it.
Reply 21
Original post by thunder_chunky

Also she was actually crying at one point when apologising and explaining herself and that was just after a bit of pressure and reaction from the press. Imagine what she'd do if she came under real pressure.

thats because she's just a young person. A child. The press have been very unfair on her. Her comments are typical of her age and to put a young person like that under media pressure was unfair and cruel.
I feel so sorry for this girl. Who didn't do stupid things when they were 14-16? Hell, the amount of internet trolls out there, if what everybody said online was taken seriously in their place of work, then there'd be a LOT of people getting sacked straight off.

I think they're making an example of her, and the way the media is bullying her is just unfair - sure she's crying, but she's 17. She's not a hardened politician, I think if my whole world was crashing down with people calling for me to be sacked from my job, I'd be crying too. The fact that the twitter posts were made before she was given the position is also important, it's not like she was in the job and making such horrid tweets at the same time, it's just a skeleton in the closet - and everybody has skeletons in the closet, whether they wish to admit it or not.

Either everybody who writes horrid things on twitter should lose their jobs and be made examples of, or none of them. I've seen far worse things written on the internet and there's been no implications on the lives of the authors. It's just the media jumping on the bandwagon to try and shame a foolish young girl to the extent she loses her job. Not cool imo.
Reply 23
Original post by datpiff
thats because she's just a young person. A child. The press have been very unfair on her. Her comments are typical of her age and to put a young person like that under media pressure was unfair and cruel.

Typical of her age?!?! I dont know about who you were hanging out with when you were 17 but this is in no way typical behaviour of a 17 year old. Even my 14 year old sister who not spout such ****.
Original post by datpiff

The press have been unfair to her? That's just too bad. Life is cruel. She's a public official in a public job paid for the tax payer I assume. It is a ridiculous position to have in the first place and I don't think it's wise or necessary to have it. I think it's a waste of money. That said not all 17 year olds are like her, some are responsible and careful and they choose their words carefully. I can't help but think that her internet social media history should have come up sooner.
Since one would assume taxpayers money is being used to pay her I have zero sympathy.
Original post by edithwashere
I feel so sorry for this girl. Who didn't do stupid things when they were 14-16?

She's 17. You're close though.
Original post by thunder_chunky
She's 17. You're close though.

The twitter posts were written when she was 14-16. I called her 17 elsewhere in my post though, perhaps you didn't read it properly?
Reply 27
Original post by heirloom
Typical of her age?!?! I dont know about who you were hanging out with when you were 17 but this is in no way typical behaviour of a 17 year old. Even my 14 year old sister who not spout such ****.

At the school I do exam invigilation at every now and then I've seen and heard far worse from the kids. Whether you want to admit it or not, this is the way a lot of them speak. It's just with 99% of them they grow out of it and have no reason for the things they said at 14/15/16 to be made public and for them to be made an example of.

And the school I work at is by no means a bad or rough school. It's a fairly ordinary secondary in a reasonably well-off suburb.
Reply 28

depends where you're from. I'm from an up north council estate. i work with young people as a job. I hear a lot lot lot worse. As said this is the way a lot of young people speak. Like it or not. I have to challenge a lot of this behaviour. Young people say stupid **** at times. We all have when we were young.

oh and discrimination against travellers is seen as the last acceptable discrimination in communities in my experience. It's seen as acceptable in nearly every community I've worked in. It's usually worse in middle class and well off parts. There usually isn't as many ethnic minorities in the area.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JoffreyBaratheon
Disagree. I don't think the average teenager posts comments as offensive as that - especially the homophobic and racist stuff.

Agreed. I'm 18 and i wouldn't dream of posting anything like that - mainly because i dont drink excessively, dont do drugs and whatever else. Probably why my tweets are so boring :P
Reply 30
Original post by datpiff
depends where you're from. I'm from an up north council estates

i work with young people as a job. I hear a lot lot lot worse.

oh and discrimination against travellers is seen as the last acceptable discrimination in communities in my experience. It's seen as acceptable in nearly every community I've worked in.

I went to school in Moss Side and there were a mix of people from North and South Manchester. I've been there since reception and I have never heard or seen any of my peers say/write any racist or homophobic rants
Reply 31
I went to school in Moss Side and there were a mix of people from North and South Manchester. I've been there since reception and I have never heard or seen any of my peers say/write any racist or homophobic rants

In my experience white middle class areas are the worst along with areas that are in decline, very white and working class like areas in Barnsley and Rotherham. South Manchester like areas in a lot of cities is very diverse unlike areas of e.g. Rural Cheshire and areas as you get into the Peak District. In big cities you are probably exposed to more diverse groups. Manchester has a big gay community btw.

so if you never seen it happen it must never happen?? A lot of people on here have never seen it. Maybe they lived sheltered lives or were in the right place right time?
(edited 11 years ago)

"I've never seen it happen so it must never happen!"
:rolleyes:

Sorry but how long have you been using the internet? Even I can be an idiot online sometimes, and I consciously do my best not to be rude to people or offend people. Look at twitter, reddit, any social networking site - your friends may not behave like that, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

For the record, I loathe internet bullies. But what she's done is nowhere near as bad as things I've seen written by other teenagers, and why should she be made an example of when there are literally thousands of others behaving just as badly online and getting away with it?

Either we all get held accountable for our online interactions, or none of us do.
Reply 33
Original post by datpiff
In my experience white middle class areas are the worst along with areas that are in decline, very white and working class like areas in Barnsley and Rotherham. South Manchester like areas in a lot of cities is very diverse unlike areas of e.g. Rural Cheshire and areas as you get into the Peak District. In big cities you are probably exposed to more diverse groups. Manchester has a big gay community btw.

so if you never seen it happen it must never happen?? A lot of people on here have never seen it. Maybe they lived sheltered lives or were in the right place right time?

Original post by edithwashere
"I've never seen it happen so it must never happen!"
:rolleyes:

Sorry but how long have you been using the internet? Even I can be an idiot online sometimes, and I consciously do my best not to be rude to people or offend people. Look at twitter, reddit, any social networking site - your friends may not behave like that, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

For the record, I loathe internet bullies. But what she's done is nowhere near as bad as things I've seen written by other teenagers, and why should she be made an example of when there are literally thousands of others behaving just as badly online and getting away with it?

Either we all get held accountable for our online interactions, or none of us do.

I never said it doesn't happen, although I admit that it sounded that way. I just think this is not typical behaviour of 14 -16 year olds and that she is showing the young people of Britain in a bad light.
Maybe your right, more diversity makes for more acceptance of different ways of life.
The bottom line is that I don't think there is any need for this position at all. They say Paris is there to show the youths views on policing, but surely just going out onto the streets and asking them is more effective and with less cost to the tax payer.
*posted.

All of her posts were made when she was between 14-16, before her new role. Not condoning what she tweeted but can you honestly tell me you were cherubs at that age?

And do people seriously think giving a teenager a political post all of a sudden means they're treated like any other politician?

Lazy journalism from a repugnant media.
Reply 35
Original post by Rooster523
Lazy journalism from a repugnant media.

And an extra element to that:

She hasn't even started the role yet, nor signed the contract saying she will. It doesn't begin until September.
She does, however, work for the local council already.
She's an idiot.

How do people like this get picked to represent the rest of us.. :confused:
To play devil's advocate, the tweets were written when she was 14-16 and she only accepted the PCC role at 17. Not trying to justify those kind of comments, but if we judge everybody retrospectively on all their actions, we don't give them any opportunity to better themselves.
What annoys me is that our PCC said that 'She looks like young people in Kent, speaks like young people in Kent and represents the opinions of young people in Kent' [sic]. She looks nothing like people I know, DEFINITELY doesn't speak like young people I know and I doubt she represents mine or my friends opinions!
This case becomes surprisingly complicated when you start unpicking it - especially when you look at it from a viewpoint from her bosses, who did not grow up with the internet and social media being 'the norm' in the way most of you have.

That her messages were highly offensive to many goes without saying. The question then is how to respond. One thing she doesn't deserve is to be on the receiving end of a media firestorm. If we started to apply the standard of judgement on what people did aged 14-16 to everyone in public life and the professions, there would be resignations all over the place. It's not as if adults provide a fantastic example themselves.

The other issue is why the Police Commissioner for Kent chose to go with a single adviser rather than having say a youth panel made up of representatives from across the county - and with members of that panel all paid from what would have been the salary for the youth commissioner. 15 panellists per year, £1,000 for each panellist for turning up to one meeting per month? (Plus presumably whatever additional activities are required of them in their schools, colleges or local area). Wouldn't that have been a better model?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending