Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics/Chem/Math at A levels with these O level grades, bad or good idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I did the CSEEs - Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (National O level Exams of Tanzania and got the following grades,
    Math B
    English B
    Physics B
    Biology B
    Chemistry C
    Kiswahili C
    Religious studies (Islamic) D
    Geography C
    Civics C
    Arabic C

I know these are NOT good at all and I cried when I got my results but then thanked God anyway (93% of the examinees got a division 0 this year);mine was a division 1.

My point is I am thinking of doing Physics, Math, Chemistry and Further math for A levels. I love math a lot and hate Chemistry but I have to take it because of my choice of career which is Petroleum Engineering. Do you guys think i am risking it and am most likely to get bad grades overall and so i should choose another subjects or not do A levels at all.

In need of suggestions and lots of advices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerocker)
    I did the CSEEs - Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (National O level Exams of Tanzania and got the following grades,
    Math B
    English B
    Physics B
    Biology B
    Chemistry C
    Kiswahili C
    Religious studies (Islamic) D
    Geography C
    Civics C
    Arabic C

I know these are NOT good at all and I cried when I got my results but then thanked God anyway (93% of the examinees got a division 0 this year);mine was a division 1.

My point is I am thinking of doing Physics, Math, Chemistry and Further math for A levels. I love math a lot and hate Chemistry but I have to take it because of my choice of career which is Petroleum Engineering. Do you guys think i am risking it and am most likely to get bad grades overall and so i should choose another subjects or not do A levels at all.

In need of suggestions and lots of advices
    Oh dear. If you're taking chemistry because of this then you'll either:

Be driven to do well in the course because it will get you to where you want to be

or

You won't do so well because you hate it

And to be honest with a C in Chemistry you might struggle because it's a LOT harder. I got an A* and still found it challenging. It does involve a lot of maths though so you might be able to cope.

All 3 subjects are very hard. I don't think you need to do them ALL to do P. Engineering. Check to see what the entry requirements are first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.