The Student Room Group

D2 6th June 2013

Actually so worried for this exam! Has anyone got any revision tips for it? Not many people seem to be sitting it for some reason?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hooray someone else sitting this exam! lol we're a rare breed out here :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Lilmzbest
Hooray someone else sitting this exam! lol we're a rare breed out here :colondollar:

Definitely, unfortunately :/ how've you been preparing for it? The simplex is just horrendous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kashagupta
Definitely, unfortunately :/ how've you been preparing for it? The simplex is just horrendous

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aah simplex, it just makes you want to cry :tongue: tbh i just practiced simplex a lot and i'm fairly confident in it now, i just make sure to double check all my answers as soon as i get to the row operations bit, like most of D2 i find that you are more likely to lose marks from wrong calculation than by not knowing what you're doing :tongue:

I'm just getting lots of practice (doing all the exercises in the book) and trying to keep the algorithms fresh in my head, so the exam should be okay i hope :smile:
Hey, it's nice to find other people doing D2; I'm sitting this exam as well. Is your school making you guys sit this exam or are you guys self-teaching it?
Reply 5
Original post by Epic Flawless
Hey, it's nice to find other people doing D2; I'm sitting this exam as well. Is your school making you guys sit this exam or are you guys self-teaching it?

Nah D2 is part of my further maths A2 so my whole class is doing it :smile: i personally love it but literally the rest of the class hates it :tongue:
How do you know the inequality signs for this? I know which 2 are best upper/lower bound but why the less than or equal to inequality sign for upper bound and not lower bound?????
Reply 7
Original post by Knoyle quiah
How do you know the inequality signs for this? I know which 2 are best upper/lower bound but why the less than or equal to inequality sign for upper bound and not lower bound?????

The thing to understand is that when you calculated the upper bound you calculated and actual route so it is a feasible solution

The method to find the lower bound simply gives a value for the lower bound, it doesn't actually give a feasible solution, if you draw out the network you got after adding back C in part (e) of the question then you'll notice that it doesn't actually give you a feasible route, therefore the inequality sign is just a more than sign

N.B If you delete a vertex and then add it back in and you get a tour, then this is the optimal solution ... but that doesn't usually happen :tongue:
The thing to understand is that when you calculated the upper bound you calculated and actual route so it is a feasible solution

The method to find the lower bound simply gives a value for the lower bound, it doesn't actually give a feasible solution, if you draw out the network you got after adding back C in part (e) of the question then you'll notice that it doesn't actually give you a feasible route, therefore the inequality sign is just a more than sign

N.B If you delete a vertex and then add it back in and you get a tour, then this is the optimal solution ... but that doesn't usually happen :tongue:

Ahh that makes sense, I understand, thank you :smile: , how did you know this?
Reply 9
Ahh that makes sense, I understand, thank you :smile: , how did you know this?

Oh ... i guess i just figured it out, lol D2 is the only maths module i actually understand :colondollar:
How do i find the minimum cut on this diagram (capacitated) ???
Reply 11
How do i find the minimum cut on this diagram (capacitated) ???

Afaik the minimum cut is one that goes through only saturated arcs (conditions are p193 in the textbook). Therefore you need the flows to see which cut is a minimum :tongue:
Afaik the minimum cut is one that goes through only saturated arcs (conditions are p193 in the textbook). Therefore you need the flows to see which cut is a minimum :tongue:

It can also go through empty arcs as well but these would not contribute to the value of the min cut (as they are 'out of cut').
Reply 13
Original post by Epic Flawless
It can also go through empty arcs as well but these would not contribute to the value of the min cut (as they are 'out of cut').

Lol yeah i know :tongue: just need to get the flow values first, but thanks for pointing that out, its something that people often miss :smile:
Reply 14
Oh LORD! i haven't started D2 yet... so many exams T.T
Reply 15
Original post by bonjour04
Oh LORD! i haven't started D2 yet... so many exams T.T

I wouldn't panic if I were you, just start now, it's fairly easy to get your head around and there's still 3 weeks left :smile:
Reply 16
I wouldn't panic if I were you, just start now, it's fairly easy to get your head around and there's still 3 weeks left :smile:

Aha hopefully. Just realised we have game theory too *face palm*
Reply 17
Can someone please explain to me the answer to Edexcel D2 examination style paper Q 2e?

Is there any flow-augmenting route?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by imasha.sj
Can someone please explain to me the answer to Edexcel D2 examination style paper Q 2e?

I'm afraid i have no idea which paper that is...is there a link to it, or could you scan the question in? :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by imasha.sj

Oh you meant the one in the book! My bad :colondollar: i got SCBEDT, its a confusing one because both arcs BC and DE have backflow :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest