Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what's the point in a Buisness degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never managed to see the point in a Business degree?

Surely one cannot be taught the skills that the likes of Bill Gates and Sir Allen Sugar have?

I just think it's so pointless...
    Spoiler:
    Show

sorry if I offended any young aspiring lord sugars who are doing business degrees

ReputationRep:
    Those who cannot do economics, do business. Those who cannot do business, teach business. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

ReputationRep:
    Business is just a watered down version of economics imo.

ReputationRep:
    I am taking business at a-level, and i've learnt the basic business stuff. I'm not taking it at degree level though, even my business tutor said it's very wishy washy.

Business is a subject that you can study all your life but still be rubbish at it. It's one of the many subjects that you'll learn a heck of a lot more by getting experience. IMO business qualifications are too theory based and not enough experience based.

And you're right, you can't be taught the skills of Sugar & Branson, but you can learn them. You can learn the skills of delegation, management, making deals etc. by watching experienced people and through trail and error. Business is very simple- you buy it, you sell it for a bit more. It's having the confidence to go and do it, and then it's just getting experience to get it right.

And TheGuy117 is right about business teachers. If they are good at business, they would be out there making money and leading organisations, not teaching other people how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    A business degree is not designed for aspiring entrepreneurs in my opinion. You'd be better off spending that money and those three years starting a business instead of doing a pointless degree if you are that way inclined.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.