Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Effect of switching from the injection to IUS on periods? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering switching from the contraceptive depo injection to the Mirena IUS. I've been on the injection for about 2 years on and have put on quite a bit of weight, a few stone at least. I'm not blaming the injection for this exclusively but it may not be helping. This is why i'm considering changing to IUS. I wouldn't change however if it meant getting my periods back as i've had none whatsoever on the injection. Not even light ones or spotting which is magical and I refuse to give that up.

So my main question is has anyone changed over to IUS from injection (who didn't have periods on injection) and if so what changes has it had to your periods?

ReputationRep:
    You will almost certainly bleed a little at least within the first few days of it being fitted. whether you will bleed after that point no one will be able to tell you. It depends how your body reacts. I know someone who bled for 5 months after it was fitted, but hasn't for years since. Some people don't bleed at all or get a tiny bit of occasional spotting after the initial fitting.

ReputationRep:
    The Mirena is recommended as a treatment for heavy periods so if the injections have stopped your periods I'd guess is highly likely that you won't have any with the Mirena. I used to have very heavy prolonged periods and now I have either nothing, or the lightest of light periods which barely lasts a day. As previous poster said you may get some spotting after it is fitted and while you body gets used to it though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.