Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any opinions on this book? I was expecting brilliant things but was left disappointed. Am I missing the greatness of the book or did anyone else actually find it quite boring?

I'm really excited to see the film though, it looks great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staircasewit)
    Any opinions on this book? I was expecting brilliant things but was left disappointed. Am I missing the greatness of the book or did anyone else actually find it quite boring?

I'm really excited to see the film though, it looks great.
    I couldnt agree more!! i felt completely the same, however, i think its the kind of book that you have to understand that the "boring" aspects mirror how boring the characters lives are and how trivial all in all their problems are, hence why the plot is slow.

You have to admire the language all the same!!

The film looks soooo good!! LEO!

ReputationRep:
    I might've liked The great Gatsby more if literally everything wasn't a metaphor for America. People go on about how brilliant and deep it is but literally everything stands for America, minus the Eckleburg eyes. And that's just boring. I will admit the writing style was rather good, it wasn't dumbed down or too complex, which is probably another reason why so many people love it, it could reach a far wider audience. But in the end, yeah, the characters are rather dull and the point was made fairly quickly.

Film looks like it'll be rather entertaining though, I'm extremely looking forward to the infamous Shirt Scene!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the plot was a bit weak. I like it for the language.

The film looks dreadful (Tobey Maguire?? I know he's friends with Dicaprio but come on!).

ReputationRep:
    The book was OK, not great but I do understand why it is classed as a classic. It holds a quality of superiority that some other books lack and is really well written; the only thing really lacking is the depth of character and plot. I have to admit though, the detail of some of the events in the book are superb. They draw you in and make you feel like you're there and the tension until you meet Gatsby holds the attention of the reader really well. The ideas behind Gatsby leave you searching, wanting more and that attention the reader pays to him makes him great, even if Fitzgerald doesn't go much further than the surface (just realised I called Gatsby great. Oh no.)
    I'm really looking forward to the film though! Baz Luhrmann is a genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsLovett112)
    I might've liked The great Gatsby more if literally everything wasn't a metaphor for America. People go on about how brilliant and deep it is but literally everything stands for America, minus the Eckleburg eyes. And that's just boring. I will admit the writing style was rather good, it wasn't dumbed down or too complex, which is probably another reason why so many people love it, it could reach a far wider audience. But in the end, yeah, the characters are rather dull and the point was made fairly quickly.

Film looks like it'll be rather entertaining though, I'm extremely looking forward to the infamous Shirt Scene!
    You might have liked TGG more if you could grasp the meaning of the word 'literally'.

ReputationRep:
    In fact this thread is like the homeless discussing caviar, what a farce.

ReputationRep:
    You're all wrong. Gatsby is literally the second best book ever written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    You're all wrong. Gatsby is literally the second best book ever written.
    Edit.

ReputationRep:
    This thread title keeps making me laugh whenever I see it, I don't even know why

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm doing the text for my exam and I'm bored out of my mind.
    The language is absolutely gorgeous, but plot wise? I don't think it can even be worth mentioning.
    Gatsby is just a lovelorn man convinced that money can get him admiration and love and particularly lives in a fantasy world.

And Nick?

Nick....*can't begin to explain*

On a different note however, I can't wait to watch the movie! Our class is going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joist)
    You might have liked TGG more if you could grasp the meaning of the word 'literally'.
    'Literally' is a common hyperbole now. Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    It's a masterpiece. The Luhrmann film, on the other hand, looks AWFUL.

ReputationRep:
    Read it today. I'd say I'm a fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joist)
    Minus the eyes of Dr Eckleburg, I would stand by the idea that everything and everyone is in some way a metaphor for America in this novel. Whether it be the new Jazz era of America, the American dream, the poverty stricken Americans, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I personally class The Great Gatsby as my favorite book of all time.
    Closely second is Joyce's Dubliners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    I personally class The Great Gatsby as my favorite book of all time.
    Closely second is Joyce's Dubliners
    Best post in thread, bettered only if Dubliners was substituted for Ulysses, but Dubliners is incredible too.

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby is a marvellous novel but Fitzgerald's best is Tender is the Night by some distance IMO. I like all his novels but that one is the most complete with the most interesting characters.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article about this: http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/schul...cebook_vulture

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be so much hate for The Great Gatsby, I wonder why. I love that book.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.