Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel lost and worthless. I should be happy but i'm not. Although I have a job, it causes me a far bit of stress. I cant switch off. As a result, i've resulted to some fairly unhealthy coping mechanisms to make everything bearable.

I try to read and i just cant concentrate. Getting up in the morning is a huge effort.

I feel worthless. I never know what to talk about and i am avoiding talking to people. I feel so guilty because i feel like this. I don't have a right to feel this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    I feel lost and worthless. I should be happy but i'm not. Although I have a job, it causes me a far bit of stress. I cant switch off.

I feel worthless. I never know what to talk about and i am avoiding talking to people. I feel so guilty because i feel like this. I don't have a right to feel this way.
    Don't feel guilty about feeling rubbish, it sounds like your are a bit stressed. Everyone can feel this way at times, it's all part of the human experience unfortunately.

You can do things to feel less stressed and boost your self esteem - which will make you feel better in yourself and help you combat feeling rubbish. Something mundane and simple like joining a running club could help break out of this funk you are in. Basically just do something fun, possibly a bit of exercise, and it'll make you feel better.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is well well aware of how stress affects you, here are a few things I do to give myself some respite:
    - I go for walks somewhere quiet. I'm fortunate to have a big park near me. Whilst I'm walking I do calming breathing exercises. Mainly, breathe in for 5 exhale for 7, counting slowly.
    - I see a psychotherapist, and I find talking helps me a lot. I have things to talk about that I don't think I can tell anyone, so finding someone to tell your worries to will help, the Samaritans are fantastic.
    - Relaxation yoga. Seriously helps! I will post a link when I get to a computer to the yoga I do, I never in a million years thought it would help but it does.
    - what unhealthy mechanisms do you use? If one of them is eating poorly, please change this, you honestly feel so much better when you put good food inside yourself!
    - What is it about your job that you don't like? The jobs? The people? The environment? The hours? The commute? Identify what you don't like about it and take steps to change it. Honestly life is too short! I am doing a law degree and HATE it, I plan on moving to the countryside and having a small menial job maybe on a farm or in a village. People think a job is the be all and end all but it's not, it's the quality of life that matters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    As someone who is well well aware of how stress affects you, here are a few things I do to give myself some respite:
    - I go for walks somewhere quiet. I'm fortunate to have a big park near me. Whilst I'm walking I do calming breathing exercises. Mainly, breathe in for 5 exhale for 7, counting slowly.
    - I see a psychotherapist, and I find talking helps me a lot. I have things to talk about that I don't think I can tell anyone, so finding someone to tell your worries to will help, the Samaritans are fantastic.
    - Relaxation yoga. Seriously helps! I will post a link when I get to a computer to the yoga I do, I never in a million years thought it would help but it does.
    - what unhealthy mechanisms do you use? If one of them is eating poorly, please change this, you honestly feel so much better when you put good food inside yourself!
    - What is it about your job that you don't like? The jobs? The people? The environment? The hours? The commute? Identify what you don't like about it and take steps to change it. Honestly life is too short! I am doing a law degree and HATE it, I plan on moving to the countryside and having a small menial job maybe on a farm or in a village. People think a job is the be all and end all but it's not, it's the quality of life that matters!
    Thanks. I'll try the breathing techniques. What happens when you call or email Samaritans? I've heard they can't give advice?

I do Pilates, which I find helps. Never tried yoga, but I would like to.

My eating is ok, though it could be better. I tend to take things out on myself through self harming.

I wasn't happy at teaching all levels, but now I've reduced my hours. I still feel stressed though. I'd like to see more communication in the workplace. I live very near my work, so the commute is not a problem. If anything, I live too near and can't get away.

I feel like all I'm doing is going round in circles.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Thanks. I'll try the breathing techniques. What happens when you call or email Samaritans? I've heard they can't give advice?

I do Pilates, which I find helps. Never tried yoga, but I would like to.

My eating is ok, though it could be better. I tend to take things out on myself through self harming.

I wasn't happy at teaching all levels, but now I've reduced my hours. I still feel stressed though. I'd like to see more communication in the workplace. I live very near my work, so the commute is not a problem. If anything, I live too near and can't get away.

I feel like all I'm doing is going round in circles.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Seriously, I've really taken to going to my local park and walking , each step is a count, really helps to take control of your breathing.

Here is the link to the yoga, just give it a whirl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6XqCI7IbvE

They can't give certain advice, but they give a great deal of sympathy which is sometimes what I need.

I would maybe suggest a trip to your doctors to maybe get some medication that might help you

I totally understand where you're coming from. If you don't mind me asking, does it come in waves or is it constant? As in do you feel this way all the time or are there some days you feel fine and others where you don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I totally understand where you're coming from. If you don't mind me asking, does it come in waves or is it constant? As in do you feel this way all the time or are there some days you feel fine and others where you don't?
    It's constant, but slightly less intense when i'm not working at the weekends. That said, i find myself thinking about work a lot.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE READ THIS VERY LONG THREAD AND REPLY PLEASE!! IT'S ABOUT DEPRESSION >>>>>>>> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2314940

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.