Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    could someone please help me im a bit confused as to why the myelin sheath increases the speed of action potential condiction when its an insulator if someone could explain would reallyyy helpp ! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Where there is myelin, no exchange of ions can occur across the membrane. There are gaps in the myelin called nodes of Ranvier. If there was no myelin every single voltage gated channel would have to open and close as the action potential travels along the neuron. However because of the myelin the action potential kind of jumps between nodes of Ranvier, missing out huge chunks of the neuron and thus getting to the bouton faster. It's called saltatory conduction.

Does that make sense? Harder to explain in text than I thought it would be! :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adl91)
    could someone please help me im a bit confused as to why the myelin sheath increases the speed of action potential condiction when its an insulator if someone could explain would reallyyy helpp ! thanks
    Because myelin sheath are insulators, depolarisation can only occur at the nodes of Ranvier so then the impulse is forced to take another path and it does so by avoiding the myelinated neuron and instead jumps from one node to another, hence increasing their speed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.